Moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bolynne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We are moving from San Diego to Albuquerque, NM in March. We have a 65 gal. freshwater tank with about 22 fish...mostly ciclids (from very small to large), 2 spotted cats, 2 average size pleckos. The drive to Albuquerque is about 3 days. We'll be driving our Chrysler T & C minivan. We have no idea how to move the aquarium and the fish. Is there anything published or on the internet with instruction on how to move your fish & tank? Does anyone out there have experience with this?

hgmm... I just remembered that they only filter a certain amount per day (a certain gallon per day)... why is that? If my dad just wants the physical removal of up to one micron sediments in the similar-to-water substance... does he need to actually wait or stand by the limit of the GPD that it says to use it at or does he only need a part of the filter to do that and not be limited by the GPD issue?? Thanks!

Get some stryrofoam coolers or big plastic rubbermaid containers (I have some that gold about 30 gals of water with a hinged lid. Do make sure you get something with a lid or a way to cover the fish. You'll want to keep them in the dark and don't feed them during the trip.

Then go to radio shack and get a power supply to convert to 110 from your cig lighter. You can then plug in an air pump and run hoses to your fish containers. Use the water from the tank in the containers, and keep your substrate wet with tank water also.

Keep an eye on the temp in the car so the water temp doesn't vary too much. When you get to NM put as much original water and substrate back into the tank as possible.

They sell battery powered air pumps for around 7 bucks at http://www.thatfishplace.com
I even bought a few and then thought about it. They are good for power outages but as far as moving they are pretty well useless. Air exchange is caused by surface movement of the water. While you are driving the water will be sloshing all over so you will not need the added water movement. If you stop for the night at a hotel or someplace will be the only time you might need a airstone. Then you can use the outlet in the hotel if you only have a bucket or two.

To go along with all the advice given above check our aritcles area for a well written article on moving a tank. Reguarless of the distance the procedures are basicly the same.

Back
Top Bottom