New aquarium owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys you have been a real help I will post results tomorrow!

Greg5530 said:
Ok so I read the article on fish less cycling ang it really doesn't tell me how much ammonia I should be adding just 4 ppm so what a table spoon, I know prob so stupid but I'm trying to figure this out without harming anymore fish

ppm = parts per million

Thus 1ml of ammonia in 1000000ml of water is 1ppm.

I would go for the trial and error described above its easier than trying to figure out the calculations each time.

Andrew I went to ace and they do not sell 100% ammonia but I got the commercial grade that they had test levels to follow!

Ok so ph was 7.6 on norm test I also preformed the night level ph test and it's showing 8.0, ammonia .25 nitrite 0 unable to perform nitrate due to test kit only coming with bottle #2, I have ph down should I put some of this in or just bring up my ammonia to 4ppm

Greg5530 said:
Ok so ph was 7.6 on norm test I also preformed the night level ph test and it's showing 8.0, ammonia .25 nitrite 0 unable to perform nitrate due to test kit only coming with bottle #2, I have ph down should I put some of this in or just bring up my ammonia to 4ppm

Do not use the ph down at any time. Most all fish can live in different ph so a steady ph is better then one that fluctuates. Dose the ammonia to 4 ppm like you said. You'll need the nitrate test bottle so you'll need to pick it up. If your ammonia was reading .25 now it was probably higher then that a few days ago when you had fish and is what was killing your fish. Just follow the article and if you want keep us posted here so if you need help someone can respond.

Forgot something
Whatever you do don't mess with the filter it has to build up bacteria that has probably already started from when you had fish.

Last edited:
Ok sounds good I will does to 4 ppm and pick up that bottle of nitrate! Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it

One week in and a little ammonia has disappear down to one I dosed back up to 4ppm and no change so far

Greg5530 said:
One week in and a little ammonia has disappear down to one I dosed back up to 4ppm and no change so far

No nitrites have showed up either

Guppys are not a good cycle
Fish just leave the fish for a bit Molly's are a great starter fish I got like 6 to cycle a 90 turned into 30 and I used a couple
To cycle
My salt tank they are extremely hardy didn't even drip them and they are great for hair ALGEA

Ok so it has almost been three weeks and nothing yet, I have had to dose up to 4ppm once after initial does after that the ammonia level has maintained 4ppm. Unsure of what to do at this point. Do I wait longer or maybe do a partial water change (have not done one yet). Any suggestions are useful.

Andrew you still say be patient? Any other suggestions kind of tired looking at an empty tank

Greg5530 said:
Andrew you still say be patient? Any other suggestions kind of tired looking at an empty tank

I would still say the same lol
Not a less butterfly_koi knows something I don't. ;) From my understanding it can take several weeks to even get any nitrite. I know I know its a long process but it hasn't been that long. once its done you shouldn't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom