New here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karidewitt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all! I'm just getting started in the aquarium world, but I have a 20 gallon freshwater going with a figure 8 puffer, a ghost knife, a cory catfish, and a few tetra's. Testing my water and so far all is well but learning how to keep the ammonia down is hard. My ghost knife doesn't like light so I've been keeping my blue LEDs on but I want to see what's going on in there and see the beautiful colors of my figure 8 so I'm going to have to get some hiding places in there for the ghost knife so I can turn on the ballasts and light it up. I also have a 14 gallon biocube started but all it has in it right now is some live sand and a fiji live rock. Water levels are good becuase there's nothing in it really but I'm thinking I want to go reef with this since it's small. I may start with a carpet anemone and a clown fish, and go from there.

Welcome to AA! i know this isnt whatt you want to hear but your tanks stock isnt appropriate. figure 8 puffer, a ghost knife, a cory catfish, and a few tetra's.
first, Cory's need a minimum of 4 and tetras 6, and if you have different kinds you need 6 of each, they are schooling. The ghost knife- can you clarify what kind?clown, black, brown???
The puffer I believe is brackish, and also is aggressive. Did you cycle your tank? If so how? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Welcome to AA! i know this isnt whatt you want to hear but your tanks stock isnt appropriate. figure 8 puffer, a ghost knife, a cory catfish, and a few tetra's.
first, Cory's need a minimum of 4 and tetras 6, and if you have different kinds you need 6 of each, they are schooling. The ghost knife- can you clarify what kind?clown, black, brown???
The puffer I believe is brackish, and also is aggressive. Did you cycle your tank? If so how? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

I have not cycled the tank and I most likely put the cart before the horse so to speak, although I do have water test strips to tell me if my levels are ok and that's how I know the ammonia level is a little elevated. I plan to get a more in depth water tester that test exact levels of every level.

I have 5 neon tetras in there, and my ghost knife fish is black with the little white stripe down the middle. The puffer seems to be getting along with everyone. I do know they are brackish, but didn't know this until I had already purchased it and did some research. The pet store had it in freshwater and told me nothing.

The black ghost knife gets very big, well over a foot, and gets aggressive. The puffer will eventually need the brackish to live, and will age and get aggressive. Also, a good test kit is the API master test kit, liqued

+1 on the Ghostknife getting big. And Big fish Eat little fish,

Fig8s are more social. I have them. 3 infact alltogether with Blue rams and Albino Bristle Nose Pleco's.
They are on the low end of brackish. but can take fresh water.

I suppose I better get a bigger tank,lol. I really like my puffer and it's really curious.

+1 on the Ghostknife getting big. And Big fish Eat little fish,

Fig8s are more social. I have them. 3 infact alltogether with Blue rams and Albino Bristle Nose Pleco's.
They are on the low end of brackish. but can take fresh water.

Welcome to the forum. Please research your species of fish. The ghost knife needs a very large tank. The puffer will probably start munching on all your other fish. Unless you plant to upgrade to a 100 gallon tank very soon, it's advisable that you take the ghost knife back. Some puffers are brackish and some are fully freswater. I'm not sure about yours. But they are all very aggressive and don't make good community fish. Good luck!

He's wedged under a rock but still breathing. Should I still take him out? The other two are getting less and less active...

Back
Top Bottom