New to site from Lake Elsinore, California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's up everybody? The reason I joined is to prepare myself for a better bigger aquarium. I just got a 5 gallon tank with 5 tropical fresh water fish for my 2 1/2 yr old son. Now I want to upgrade to a 55 or 60 gallon tank, fresh water also.
I would love to hear your opinion on what I should get. Example I was told don't use sand, substrate or gravel, just rocks is best for cleaning and maintaining. Etc, etc.:facepalm:

Welcome!! I would definitely use substrate haha, now what else goes in the tank is up to you! I would research different fish and see which ones you like the most. From there you can make a list and post it here and people will help you with a stocking list. Other things to thing about are plants, filtration, and cycling.

The fish that you can put in really depends on personal taste and whether you want an active tank with schooling fish and a few centerpiece fish or several medium sized fish with mild aggression. Those are just two examples, but once you know what you want that will also help you narrow down the types of fish to look at.

Thanks Fishkeeper!

I currently have 3 gold barbs and 2 sunfire platies. I'll get whatever fish are compatable with these. Schooling fish is an option, and I'll try to stay away from the agresive ones for now.
I just planted some bulbs in my 5 G tank so they are ready for the upgrade, if they sprout.
What do you think about those starting kits, like Marineland, they include 55G tank, bio wheel filter, hood with fluorescent bulbs, heater, etc for $200.
But I can also get a 60 G aquarium for $60 at a local aquarium shop. Could I get the rest of the items for 140?
Are these filters ok? how often do they need to be replaced and how often and how much water needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Well, I ended up getting a used 80g tank with a 20g sump and stand for 180 bucks.
I did get the substrate and added 2 angel fish an albino shark and a red tail shark, 3 more plants and 3 mystery snails, a gold, a white and a black one.
Prior to getting the new tank ready I lost a barb and a platy due to aggresion from the other barbs and platy.
So far so good in the new tank.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Just started my first saltwater tank almost 2 months ago. I'm having a blast so far. I have a 40g long tank with a hob Refugium with a protien skimmer and a eshopps 75g wet/dry that I replaced bio balls with LR..new to the hobby and hope I can get some insight and advice from everyone. Thanks!

Hi reef G, and wellcome to the site. My tank is fresh water but there is a lot of knowledgable people here that can help make things easier.

Absolutely not! Lol, the only one I found is geared mainly towards salt with only a few fresh tanks... My favorite store I've found so far is in montclair, it's called Jan's tropical fish, far but worth the drive IMO. Plus she carries a lot of different types of shrimp that I was looking for, that you can't really find anywhere else.

Yes they are both here but you know they have limited stock. And Fish is not their main focus.

Elpez said:
Yes they are both here but you know they have limited stock. And Fish is not their main focus.
I understand about Petco but petsmart should have a whole wall with many fish to choose from. Have you tried petsmart?

Pleky plec said:
I understand about Petco but petsmart should have a whole wall with many fish to choose from. Have you tried petsmart?

Our petsmart is pretty good, the petco live stock is terrible though! I refuse to buy fish from there! Although I got both my bettas there, sometimes they have some decent bettas. I'll usually go to petco for equipment and petsmart or jan's for live stock.

Billbug68 said:
Our petsmart is pretty good, the petco live stock is terrible though! I refuse to buy fish from there! Although I got both my bettas there, sometimes they have some decent bettas. I'll usually go to petco for equipment and petsmart or jan's for live stock.

Well it's what you think is best! :) How big is your tank?

I have a 10g and a 5g in our bedroom. I also just got a 55g used but it was in pretty bad shape. Been trying to figure out how to get the bad lime scale off the glass and the only thing to work so far is bar keepers friend, that stuff works magic! We originally got the 10 for my step son who wanted fish(I didn't) and now I'm addicted!

Attachments

• image-3352826693.jpg
    image-3352826693.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image-367918067.jpg
    image-367918067.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 93
Yes i have been to petsmart several times and I got my last 4 fish there.
I agree with you, they do have better and more stock than petco where 2 out of 5 fish I bought died. Maybe not their fault since they died 15 days after I got them.
I have been to an aquarium in LA near my job and they had fish I had never seen before. The problem is the are too far from where I live and dont want too keep them in a bag for too long.
I know there are other LFS about 30 minutes away from my house but I havent checked them out yet.

My tank is 80 G with a 20 G sump.
BTW those tanks are nice! And I agree with your addiction. My causin gave me a 5g tank he had and a month later I had to get a bigger one.

Back
Top Bottom