Newbie, dying to learn it all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeldWife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Y'all!! I've had fish over the years, mostly betta and a few mollies but I never really did the research on proper water parameters, tank size, etc. So I'm sure you can figure out how long those fish lasted. Still annoys me years later that I was so naive! But! I want to make up for that now! I currently have 3 10 gallons that are cycling and I will be picking up a 65 gallon (48 long) this weekend which will be my first big tank!! Any stocking advice welcome!! Currently considering a ton of silver tipped tetras or a mix with some smaller cichlids, like the dwarf albino lab.

First advice. Add fish slowly to a new tank system. Second advice use circulation pumps or air stones and keep a ripple at the top of the water. Unoxygenated water will kill fish faster than not being "cycled." Third: Always consider your tank as one of your animals. A well-working tank is a balanced mixture of man-made technology and biology.

Thank you for the advice and tips! So helpful!! And I was completely unaware of such a strong need for air stones!

Thank you for the advice and tips! So helpful!! And I was completely unaware of such a strong need for air stones!

I use wave makers, which are little powerheads that move water around. People do not conceptualize that fish actually breath. Their gills are specially evolved to remove oxygen molecules from the H20 of water. People get into planted tanks because the plants add oxygen into the water (they breath out oxygen). Air stones and a higher HOB filter (which creates a waterfall efect) are both good for adding oxygen into the water. Plants also reduce nitrates.

Cichlid fish end up tearing plants up so people don't put plants into tanks with cichlids. If you go with the tetras you can add plants. I actually have a "digging" chichlid the size of a softball who wrecks my plants occasionally. I have plants hat have roots like amazon swords. Those are hard for chichlids to dig up.

Oh another piece of advice: You will have algae. All tanks have algae. New tanks especially must go through an algea phase whether there are plants or not. Look up "New Tank Syndrome." You will learn alot about what to expect.

Also make sure you research all the fish you want and if they will be compatible. Make sure you ask around too, some websites give bad advice.
Don't add more than 3-5 fish every week or couple of weeks after it's cycled.

Back
Top Bottom