Newbie intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aslanperro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I am newbie with any type of aquarium. I am planning to start my first tank (freshwater) using the empty space as shown below.

I plan to build a cabinet about half way high and a 40g breeder tank will be on top. After the built-in cabinet at the bottom, there should be about 42"w 24"h 22"d space available left at top.

Fortunately, with Internet, I learn a lot from different web sites. I am sure I still have a lot more to learn from you all experts.

img0001vw9.jpg

Welcome to the site!
Do you want to put it under the counter and next to the fire place/oven?
I think you mat have a heck of a time doing PWCs, not to mention shoes and feet around that area and the possible heat/working area. Not to be a downer but the floor may not be that great of a place....Of you decide to do that, make sure all of those outlets are well covered as to not get water on them.

roka, thanks for your points.

I don't use the fireplace so heat will not be a problem.

The tank I'm thinking about is 16" high. That is one thing I am concerned if I have enough top clearance to do regular maintenance. With my plan now, there will be 8" left at the top. I can get more if I build the cabinet lower. Kind of hope 8" will be enough.

The floor is ceramic tile on concrete slab. Are you concerning about weight?

img0001gl9.jpg

I don't think weight will be a concern. I'm thinking you are going to have a heck of a time getting a siphon going when you change out water, unless you use a pump. I do have to admit, that is a unique place for a tank!

That space is supposed to be for TV, I guess. It divided the dining room from the family room. When it's all done, I can view the tank on the family room side.

Thank you all. I will start another thread some day in a sub-forum. This is just all in my head now.

Why don't you build yourself a cabinet on wheels so that you can move the cabinet and tank out from it's normal resting place to carry out your PWC's (partial water changes) and such like? welcome to AA by the way! haha

Back
Top Bottom