Newbie on the block - bacterial bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ecsoliz83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my name is Elisia. I decided to get a tank because myself and my autistic son love the water and anything that has to do with water. I got us a 55 gallon tank and have 4 convict cichlids, 2 silver dollars, a gourami, and a catfish sucker. The past few weeks I’ve had an issue. I did over-clean my tank and ended up with a bacterial bloom. I was told to do a seed treatment for 7 days which I did and the tank has yet to clear up. I did test the water and found that the ph level was low. I really need someone to guide me in what to do. I don’t know if I should just leave it alone but add something to raise the ph or if I should do a water change. Please help!!!! I feel like I’m in over my head. I miss my tank looking clear and beautiful

Hi elisa.

Could you give some more information on the tank and what level of understanding you have.

Could you give some kind of timeline on whats been going on. How long have had the tank, how long before you had this cloudy water issue?

Do you know your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Actual numbers, not just they are good or low etc.

What is your normal water change schedule? How much and how often?

What do you understand about the nitrogen cycle? Is the tank cycled? If so how did you cycle it? Or do you know nothing about cycling a tank and this is the first you are hearing about cycling a tank?

A bacterial bloom is a normal part of a tank establishing. Almost every tank will go through this stage and it typically goes away in a few weeks as nutrients settle down and the tank cycles. Its generally harmless as long as it doesnt go on too long.

Back
Top Bottom