Newbie Thinking of a Fluval Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pratishk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've been researching for a few weeks now and am looking to get an aquarium in the next few months.

Got my heart set on a Fluval Edge 46L even with the small opening and certain issues some people have faced with it.

Is it worth going for reef/marine setup straightaway as a newbie? Or better to start tropical/freshwater?

Also any slightly large-ish fish that don't mind being solo in a tank? Or best to get an arrangement of a few small fish?

Anyhow, thanks already for the great comments and advice I have already read here. Looking forward to starting my fish family... :fish2:

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

The Fluval Edge is an awesome tank. Lots of people here have and love them.

IF you;ve done your research and are prepared to spend a lot of money on a marine set up, maybe take it into consideration. I would suggest starting freshwater though. A saltwater tank is a huge investment, and you might not even end up liking the hobby so it would make more sense to go fresh first. Plus, you have more wiggle room with freshwater. You an screw up and correct it before any serious damage happens, while in saltwater it can be detrimental to both the fish and the corals.

You have a lot of options with freshwater. You can do bigger fish, like cichlids, gouramis or angelfish (Most not suitable for a tank the size) Or you can have a community tank, which means lots of groups of other fish, like cory's, tetras and guppies. Ideally, you want a tank of at least 20 gallons to give you a lot of options for fish. 12 gallons, in reality, isn't that much and in the end you could only have a small group of one or two species in there. A 20 gallon, however, would let you have a couple bigger fish, plus some smaller fish.

I also recommend planting your tank. This will not only look a lot better than fake stuff, but also help in filtering and keeping the water clean. If you go with some nice, hardy plants to start with (hornwort, anubias, java fern, water sprite) then you will be on your way to getting it right with harder plants. My fish/shrimp love exploring through the plants as well, especially the puffers.

Overall, freshwater is definitely the better choice until you're more experienced and you know what you're doing. Feel free to ask us any questions, we are here to help!

Thanks Nils!

Yes agree freshwater is probably more practical for now.

Thanks for the advice, will look into your suggestions, appreciate it.

If you want to do sort of a 12g community you could do a trio of cherry barbs, some sort of small schooling fish, and a small group of cories or kuhlis for the bottom.

For just a colorful and active tank go with all male Endlers or all male guppies.

There are even a few cichlid options that would work in that size tank.

Are there any particular fish you're interested in?

There are a few certain issues with working with these tanks. I have 2 x 6.6G and one 12G aka 46L.

The hole in top means moving things around and cleaning is really difficult and you MUST remove a few cups of water before sticking your arm in there. You will likely overflow your tank a few times grabbing or moving something and eventually you learn. Make sure you have some towels nearby and that you make sure your cabinet surface won't be damaged by over flowed water.

I have had the 6.6G for a long time, 3 and a half years maybe and it is my favorite tank.
60074-albums9764-picture59828.jpg

This a older pic.

one of my favorite pics
60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg

first pic lol
60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg

then I got the 12G
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

Then recently DD returned a gift of a 6.6G and it is a Betta /5 Cory and now only one Guppy, tank atm.

I really wanted to turn the 12G into a SW but couldn't figure out how to easily clean the tank and left t as a FW instead.

My hope was to have a long cabinet with the 12G in the center and the two 6.6G flankng it.

So my recommendation is nano fish like CPD or Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis or Sundanio Axlerodi and Peacock Gudgeon pair or The Chilis and
dwarf Shrimp like Fire Red Cherry Shrimp.

With some strategic aquascaping and the right choice of fish, you could easily make that tank look twice as big as it really is. A school of six emerald eye Rasboras, a male Badis Badis, and any shrimp of your choice would really look good in that tank. Plants are always recomended, for the added filtration, natural hiding spots, and realt planta with always look better than fake.

:thanks:

Thanks all. This has been really helpful.

Still researching but will definitely start up a thread with my journey.

Part of me always just wanted one or two fish to bond with and so hence was asking about keeping solo fish, but it seems schools out on this! ;-)

Thanks again and glad people are liking the aquarium. What about ornaments? Would like natural, eg rock or drift wood, etc... but again would be nice to ge something weird and wonderful or tacky/chesty! Like a diver blowing bubbles or something?? I know totally tacky but maybe it could work with a distinct aquascape??

Again, just ideas right now...

A single male apisto could work with enough plants and regular water changes

I have the 12g edge
I managed to fit a piece of driftwood on it but it's not fun if you take it down and then need to clean it up to use again. I'm not real impressed with the stock lighting. Would I buy another? I doubt it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never been a fan of the "fancy" tanks. Always used standard.

I know from personal experience I've tried many times to use fake decor but always end up switching to the natural look.

Probably the closest I've done to tank like that is 10g. I had it fully planted with a dwarf pufferfish.

http://i.imgur.com/SQaE0w2.jpg

If you are up for it I would encourage live plants. You will be more satisfied in the long run. There's plenty that are very easy and forgiving of beginner mistakes.

Caleb

I had mine all scaped actually. Was not easy for me to do that especially working around the tall driftwood in the middleuploadfromtaptalk1443678015529.jpg pic is from before it all grew in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I have the 12g edge
I managed to fit a piece of driftwood on it but it's not fun if you take it down and then need to clean it up to use again. I'm not real impressed with the stock lighting. Would I buy another? I doubt it.

I feel the same way about the Spec 5 :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I've been researching for a few weeks now and am looking to get an aquarium in the next few months.

Got my heart set on a Fluval Edge 46L even with the small opening and certain issues some people have faced with it.

Is it worth going for reef/marine setup straightaway as a newbie? Or better to start tropical/freshwater?

Also any slightly large-ish fish that don't mind being solo in a tank? Or best to get an arrangement of a few small fish?

Anyhow, thanks already for the great comments and advice I have already read here. Looking forward to starting my fish family... :fish2:

Haven't owned a fluval edge, but is definitely recommend getting the fluval spec v if your going for saltwater. And in saltwater, the tank size kind of limits the fish you could have, anything smaller than a 10 gallon can't really support a fish, as saltwater fish are very sensitive and a 10 gallon is about the smallest you could really go, but if you wanted to setup a reef, I'd definitely recommend a fluval spec v, it comes with its own powerhead, but I'd recommend getting a stronger pump, than the stock pump.

Sent via echolocation

My LFS that I go to has a fluval edge setup as a nano reef, it looks stunning, and they also used the new fluval reef light, and they have a bunch of coral in it

Sent via echolocation

So I've gone and bought one!!

:dance:

Just went out at lunch today and bought a Fluval Edge 46L! Woohoo!

Where do I start a blog for it..!! Will have a search through this forum...

Depends if you want to do SW, then you can start thread in SW Getting Started or Nana Tanks.

Cut and past the link here when you do, so we can see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom