Newbie with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squashedegg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my daughter has had an aquarium for nearly a year but it got overcrowded so we got a bigger tank 2 months ago. We ran it with no fish and cycled it and did everything right and added the fish from small tank about 3 weeks ago. Everything was fine but now we have snails - about 10 and algae - not sure what type (can't see how to add a photo!!). A danio died yesterday too. Nitrates , etc all fine. We have a 64litre tank, in it are only plastic plants and some decks for fish to hide , no real plants. We now have 2 danios , 2 female platies, 1 male platy and 2 baby platies that survived without extra help!!!
Any suggestions ? Should I get real plants, an algae eating fish? Turn off aquarium light? :thanks:

Welcome to the forum!! You may wanna start a thread in the freshwater section so you can get more views and help.

The tank is to the side of a window so no direct sunlight . The light is on from about 7 in morning until about 9 at night. In the summer a lot of light gets in the room but at the moment without the light on the room is dull because of the weather .

Water test is fine for everything , and fish are all ok . I'll try cutting down light - feel bad for fish though - stupid I know !!! Thanks .

Back
Top Bottom