noob to saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesmooni3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey watsup everyone my name is james and im a noob to saltwater tanks. the tank i have now is a 26 gallon and was meant to be a freshwater tank but changed my mind last minute. im glad i did because im finding out alot of information and this stuff and its great. the tank i have set up is now 2 days old. i bought a pair of damsel fish today to begin the cycle. i was going to do the raw shrimp thing but the lady at the pet store told me it was better to cycle with fish. or maybe she just wanted more business. but anyways thanks for looking later

Welcome to AA :wave:

What can I say, the lfs store was wrong. It's never better to cycle with damsels or any other fish. It's hard on the fish. Then if they make it through the cycle, you got the job of catching and returning them. Of course, you may want to keep them but they get very aggressive and may become a problem down the road. Good luck with your tank. I hope it does well but please reconsider cycling with fish. Just getting started, you've came to the right place. You'll get tons of help and great advice here. :D

Hoooooowdy! Welcome. :smilecolros:

The first thing about this hobby is to never take the word of a single source - such as the "lady at the per store". She should be considered as having one strike against her already for leading you in that direction to cyle with fish - especially after hearing you were considering the raw shrimp route. Shame on her. Get a good test kit and watch that ammonia. May need to do more frequent water changes as not to kill the fish while cycling.

Better still, consider taking the fish back and doing the shrimp thing.

Most importantly, read some start-up information. Robert Fenner's"Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good start. Ignore the part in it about cycling with fish though.

Good luck. But be careful of "that lady". :)

welcome jamesmooni3

I've also thought about keeping a saltwater tank but I think it is too difficult and too expensive.The marine fish here are just too expensive and i don't want to take any chances.I am perfectly happy with my freshwater tank.

yea im a collage studtent so i dont have much time for money but i went around looking for the best prices and even got some things used. which saved me alot of money.

Back
Top Bottom