150 gallon weight and reinforcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whodeymatt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set up my 150 gallon freshwater aquarium in a few months. It is very heavy with thick glass. Tank and stand weights about 400 pounds. I'm thinking with water, gravel, rocks, tank/stand, accessories, this is going to weigh close to 2000 pounds. I have a finished basement underneath where it is sitting. The way the beams run, 4 or 5 beams will be underneath it to support it. My house is 40 years old. Would my floor be ok for this much weight? Anyone have a tank this big? Any advice? I once heard you can park a car in your living room with no problems. Trying to do all the research I can for this heavy of a tank. Thanks.

Sounds like you should be ok IMO.
Having the tank on several joist (perpendicular) is the best scenario.
How long is the distance between walls holding beams?
I have a 180 in my living room with joist running parallel .
I built a load bearing wall in the middle under mine.

Ok thank. My beams are perpendicular underneath. Where I did want to put it, they were running parallel. I rather have where it is running perpendicular. The beams are connected to the wall underneath and connected to a load bearing wall that it will be setting on. I believe it is a load bearing wall. That wall seems to have double wood on either side of the beam and has one of those metal poles holding it up attached to the floor where you can adjust the level of the pole.

Back
Top Bottom