150gl Reef Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpope30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 150gl (72x18x28) aquarium. As of now it is filled and I have only added the salt. Once I put in my substrate and base rock I will be looking to replace the lighting.

The tank will house, when finished, Live Rock, Fish, Soft Corals, and SPS Corals.

I want to start with the lighting needed for all. I have read and read about all the different types and now all I am is confused....lol. I really would like to go for LED but the 72" for $3,800 is to much for my budget. I am leaning toward T-5 or MH with a second small LED MoonLight Strip(Get both for about $100).

I would love to hear and see pics from anyone who currently has a quality well established reef now. I have information overload from my own research and would love to hear success stories to help me choose.

I know this is a highly debated subject and am not looking for a deep debate but WHAT WORKS FOR YOU with a pic.

Thanks in advance for the help and comments.

Jeremy:hat:

With the depth (28") of that tank I would suggest 250w MH for best light penetration.
I use 3x175w MH on my 125.
I posted some pics here and in my signature you can see the build project for the tank with some earlier pics.

I took a look and you have a great set up. What are your thoughts on the Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights and/or the HQI Metal Halid Compact FLuorescent with Lunar Lights. I am going to try to do an open top aquarium with hanging or low profile lighting fixtures. With the canopy what you have works great.

I would avoid the CF if you can. Get a fixture that has a combination of T5 and MH. The CF bulbs don't last very long and they just don't produce the light that a T5 does.

Back
Top Bottom