2 HOB Filters in 38 Gal Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j402

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it good? if I put 2 HOB filters(rated for 20 Gal Aquarium) in 38 Gal Aquarium? Currently I have 2 Fantail and 1 Red Oranda in 15Gal Aquarium and thinking to upgrade to bigger aquarium. I found one 38 Gal aquarium on sale at local Fish Store. I am getting only aquarium and canopy. No Filter or anything else, since I have a spare HOB filter, I am thinking to use 2 HOB filters. But I'm not sure if this is ok or not.
Thanks..................

I wouldn't, I would go with a AquaClear 70 on that, or an Emperor 280, It also depends on the filter, what type of filter are they? But goldfish create lots of ammonia, so another reason I would go with a filter with media like that because then you can put in ammo-lock.

Agreed, I'd get a filter that is rated for close to double your tank size. The 2 rated for 20g won't cut it IMO...especially for goldfish. I might even do an Aquaclear 70 plus one of your filters rated for 20g.

My 55g is running 2 Marineland 200b filters on a Cichlid tank. I am a firm believer in overfiltering. I am on the road for work a lot, and getting the water changes done regularly is sketchy at best. I recently went almost 10 months between water changes, and when I had the water checked it was near spot on, slightly high amonia. (the filter media did get changed monthly). I agree with filter to double the size of your tank, and I am an advocate for the marineland penguin filters.

please disregard the above post.
there is no such thing as "slightly high" ammonia levels.

overfiltering a tank, is always a great idea, however, it does not remove the need for waterchanges.

given that you are dealing with goldies, which have a high bio-load, you are going to want to bump up your filtration. i would definitely suggest going with an ac70.

Sorry do agree that filtering does not take place of regular water changes and should have included that in my original post. But I disagree with there is no such thing as "slightly high amonia" When I had the water tested my amonia level was at the bottom of the chart, now any amonia is evil to my fish so I took action, and also taught my Step Sons how to do the gravel vac'ing and water changes. No more 10 month waits til water change.

But moral of the story is to add my two cents on the Marineland filters.

I have always been a huge fan of under gravel filters with power heads and then using an external filter to supplement. I really like Aquaclear filters. This combo seems to work for me very well.

Back
Top Bottom