500 watts halogen light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sihc2278

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello, nice to meet you all. I have a 70 gallons oceanic aquarium. I'm planning to upgrade my lighting, and sow a 500 watts hallogen light for 10 dlls at harbor tools, do you thing it would be a good idea to buy one and place it 2 or 3 ft above the aquarium to grow corals and anemones?

thank you for your help.

No. There are the wrong color spectrum and they produce a ton of heat. They are probably good for growing algae tho. ;)

An aquaculturist around here tried using a sodium vapor light to see if it gave growth. It didn't work as well as he'd hoped. But for a display tank it would be absolutely horrendous. Everything was a yellowish brown. Hey, I can add the pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110201_090637.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110201_090637.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 101
Good advise. And by the way....Welcome to AA.

thank you so much for your advise. I'm going to keep looking and saving for a better lighting equipment for my corals and future anemones. :)

An aquaculturist around here tried using a sodium vapor light to see if it gave growth. It didn't work as well as he'd hoped. But for a display tank it would be absolutely horrendous. Everything was a yellowish brown. Hey, I can add the pic.

Gross! haha

Back
Top Bottom