AH Supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've heard some positive things about the retrofit kits that AH Supply sells. But are they really that easy to install and are they dependable units? I want to try my hand at a live plant tank (the right way) and want to retrofit some of my old hoods. But I don't want to buy something that's going to turn into a huge project. Thanks.

I have been very pleased with them, and I don't think you will be disappointed. I don't know if it is still this way, but you used to have to specifically order the instructions - they were at no charge but they did not automatically include them in your order - so don't forget to do that. Also, they are extremely helpful on the phone, so don't hesitate to call. All of the parts are top notch and should last as well or better than other commercial lights you can buy. Their reflectors are the best!

If you are even just a tiny bit handy you will not have trouble putting it together. If you are hopeless with tools or looking at schematic drawings then you might want to get someone to help the first time. The drawings are easy to follow, IMO.

I'm very pleased with both their service and product. One pc bulb they sent me was defective and they sent me a new one, no questions asked!

I'm finally getting around to ordering a retrofit kit from AH Supply. I'm going to order the 2 x 13 watt Bright Kit for a 10 gal. tank. Am I better off getting 2 of the 5500K bulbs or 2 of the 6700K bulbs? Tks.

I'd go with the 6700. The 5500 are a little too yellow for my taste. They would work well n a planted tank though. This is a good set up. I converted a 10 gal fixture with this kit. Very pleased with the results. Lots brighter than a 13W tube.

either will grow plants but the 6700k will look better to the human eye. my 15gallon tank photo below shows some 3000k bulbs...even more yellow than 5500k but gives you a general idea.

My AGA PC light strip came with a 9300K bulb. May be just a tad blue but looks much better than the 5500K bulb on my other tank. 6700 to 7500 should be perfect.
To see the difference in color the bulb makes play with your monitor. It should have in the menu a way to change the color temp. Remember what it is to start with first. :lol: Most are set in the 7500 to 6500 range at the factory.

Back
Top Bottom