Anybody Handy With Marineland BioWheel Pro 30?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flieslikeabeagl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I was recently given a fish tank with a Marineland BioWheel filter - disassembled. I am having fits trying to attach the prefilter core and adapter to the Penguin 660 powerhead (impeller) housing. There is a movable black plastic collar on the inlet tube, which looks like it should fit inside the prefilter core, but it doesn't hold the prefilter in place. I am attaching a photo. (The I am pointing the pencil at the black plastic collar which fits into the prefilter core, but doesn't hold it in place)

I intend for this filter to supplement a new Eheim canister filter on the 55 gal tank; so it's not essential that I get the BioWheel filter going, but I would like to. I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 79
first of all that is a power head usually used with a under gravel setup
or it can be used like a reg power head just add a pre filter sponge
that has nothing to do with your filter/bio wheel

if you add picts of all the other parts you have maybe we can help you a bit more on how it goes together or if it needs parts . I do have a bunch of spare parts floating around if it needs anything that way you could get it up and running . May even have a whole filter somewhere in my aquarium closet

Last edited:

if you add picts of all the other parts you have maybe we can help you a bit more on how it goes together or if it needs parts . I do have a bunch of spare parts floating around if it needs anything that way you could get it up and running . May even have a whole filter somewhere in my aquarium closet

Many thanks. I will send you a pic of the bits and pieces I have asap. I also have the sponge pre-filter. The problem (I think) is getting the plastic piece, which I believe is the part the pre filter sponge is supposed to fit over (shown in my original post) to attach the the powerhead.

The instructions make mention as you did of using the powerhead for under gravel filters. And there is a separate adapter for that.

Since I will use a canister filter as the primary filter, one thought I have is to slip on the UGF adapter to run the Marine filter for initial cycling before the canister filter arrives.

But my hope is to run them both. Thanks again for your offer. I will post the pics soon.

David

Thank you very much for your generous offer to help. As I was sorting through all the bits and pieces I have, I spotted the part I needed. I had a feeling that there were actually two filters in the box of stuff I was given. I now have the tank up and running with carbon bags in a Second Nature HOB filter and the Biowheel Pro 30. I've always stuck to Eheim canister filters. But I'm going to play this one by ear, see how these two filters do and move from there. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom