Aqua Lifter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fozzy225

Aquarium Advice Activist
How strong is the Aqua Lifter pump. Plans are to use it as a top off on my system. And to have it right below my tank in the basement. I don't care if it comes out slow as long as it works

It flows I believe 3.5 gph BUT it is limited to 30" of line. I use it for the ato on 2 of my systems.

It's gonna be a little longer then that. But thanks for the info. Anybody have any ideas.water is gonna be in the basement and tank is first floor. What size pump will I need to push it up?

If you're using it as a top off pump, you just want one that can handle the head pressure (the height it is pumping) and flow isn't all that important. I'd guess you're looking at something that can push a 12' head. Most aquarium pumps have a chart on the box (or at the very least on the manufacturer's website) that show you flow versus head. If it doesn't go up to 12', I'd say it's too small in your application.

I wouldn't suggest an aqua lifter for this application, you may need something stronger. The best thing I have seen them used for is siphoning air out of CPR HOB Overflows.

Ok thanks. What about this power head. I got it from a friend but I'm not sure I can submerge it under water.

image-2243300827.jpg

That is a pretty powerful powerhead I think. Is that an aqua clear from Hagen. That may do the trick for you.

This is all I found on the side.

image-3640223403.jpg

Please let it be water proof...

yeah I am pretty sure that is one of the Hagen Aqua Clears. They are water proof, all power heads are really.

Thanks Mac. I plugged it in just to see how much power it had, i think its a bit to strong do you think it would be ok to slow it down before it goes into my sump with a shut off value?

Yeah I think that would be alright. Although try turning the green and yellow slides on the side. It may be adjustable.

The green switch adjusts flow strength and the yellow switch changes flow direction. Remember the flow you have at 0 head is much stronger than what you'll have at a 10' head.

Yours is also fully submersible, so no worries there.

Yea at ten feet it's probably really slow, if it can even handle that. My quiet one 4000 is rated at 1000gph and around 10gph at 10 feet. Your gonna need a pretty powerful pump or one made specifically for high head applications.

Can I ask y u need you top off all the way in the basement anyways? If your gonna go thru all that, might as well put a sump down there IMO. I'm actually considering that on my 40g, and using this pond that's sitting in my garage for a refugium. Then time for the mandarins :)

Can I ask y u need you top off all the way in the basement anyways? If your gonna go thru all that might as well put a sump down there IMO.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having a 500 gallon top off reservoir in my basement!

Or, at least a means to have my top off water automated. I think that would be best.

Never thought about that. This would make things so much easier. Now I'm gonna put some serious though into this. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom