AquaClear 200/50 set-up ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a used AquaClear 200/50 on the cheap in good shape. BUT it doesn't have any media with it (not that I would want someone's used media anyway).

Having never owned an AquaClear, I'm looking for some advice on setting it up for one of my aquariums (freshwater, heavily planted).

I know that you can get empty media bags to put your own media in (I'm fine with that", or I have read many posts of folks using the foam blocks they usually come with.

I'm looking for easy/simple and effective.

Thanks in advance!

biomax filter stuff(place for bacteria to grow)-
filter wool stuff in the middle-
sponge on the bottom-

has worked in all my tanks, unplanted though

filter wool need to be in one of those special "bags", or can I just pile it on top of the sponge?

i just put it in a pile on top of the sponge, and use the biofilter material to hold it down

I put in a new sponge on bottom, followed by a chunk of floss from my established filter, followed by fresh floss, with the bag of biomax on top. Seems to be working pretty well.

Any guess how long it will take fir our friendly bacteria to get fully established? I don't want to remove the other filter too soon and play games with water quality.

Then again- am I slowing down the establishment by keeping both filters going...???

Question:

Why is the sponge on the bottom and the floss/wool on top?
Is there a reason the sponge goes first?

Bubble_B0y said:
Question:

Why is the sponge on the bottom and the floss/wool on top?
Is there a reason the sponge goes first?

About as close to the "factory" set-up as can get minus the carbon. Sponge is big pored, floss is fine, and biomax is final stage.

I don't think it would hurt if one wanted to run three sponges alone, you just wouldn't get any "polishing" action. Bio-filtration would be ok though.

Back
Top Bottom