AquaClear filter issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RugbyBunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone knows if a dirty impeller would cause the filter from cleaning the tank water properly. I used to have a TopFin filter but got this AC from a friend a while back. Seems to not be cleaning the water properly as the tank water is always dirty (and nitrate and ammonia levels up) even a day after a water change. Thoughts?

When you put the AC on the tank, did you just remove the TopFin? If so, your tank will be thrown into a cycle, resulting in high ammonia levels and usually cloudy water.

Nope. They are both on there as the AC hasn't been doing anything. They've been on there for a few months now. I cleaned the impeller today and the tank seems to have cleared up a bit. I don't think that the filter was ever cleaned or anything, as the friend I got it from didn't look after her tank very well.

What model AC do you have? I've got ACs on all but one of my tanks and they do a terrific job of keeping the water clear.

It's an AC/ 50 on a 30g tank. Would a filthy impeller cause it to not work and clean the water properly. It's a lot quieter now after I cleaned it than it was before.

RugbyBunny said:
It's an AC/ 50 on a 30g tank. Would a filthy impeller cause it to not work and clean the water properly. It's a lot quieter now after I cleaned it than it was before.

Dirty impellers is a big part of low water volume movement, but what do you have in the basket to clean the water as it passes thru the filter? If that's dirty/clogged the water being moved by the impeller will just bypass it and go back into the tank literally unfiltered.

I have the sponge and charcoal. When I took it apart to clean it today, the sponge looked like it was barely dirty, which led me to believe that the water wasn't being cleaned at all and just going straight through the bypass.

RugbyBunny said:
I have the sponge and charcoal. When I took it apart to clean it today, the sponge looked like it was barely dirty, which led me to believe that the water wasn't being cleaned at all and just going straight through the bypass.

I check the bottom of the basket everytime I do a PWC, just to remove excess junk. The sponge should collect a lot of gunk so there may be something diverting the flow. Carbon is fine although I don't run any, I like to use poly-fil for final, fine screening (where the carbon goes). Do you use any bio media? They look like little cylinders and it's where large colonies of bacteria will grow to use up ammo and no2 (nitrItes), shold be on top of the carbon and are an important step in the filtering process.

Here's my suggestion, pull the filter unit off and clean the case, tubes and basket in hot water (no soap of course). You'll want to pull the motor and clean the impeller and use a Q-tip to swab out the chamber where the impeller lives. Anytime you clean your sponge or bio media, use water taken from the tank because tap water will kill the bacteria. IMO carbon packs are good at making the water clear (removing meds), but if left in too long can actually do the opposite and cause problems by leeching chems back into the tank.

The AC50 is a great filter and it's the one I recommend most everytime, so I hope you get your problem solved.

The sponge elements in an AC filter are biomedia. Prior to the renaming of the AC line, the sponge inserts were the only biomedia. With the renaming came the addition of bio rings. If you don't have any bio rings, you can use a few plastic pot scrubbers. A second sponge can also be used in a AC to increase it's capacity. If the AC is in bypass water will exit around the inlet tube.

BillD said:
The sponge elements in an AC filter are biomedia. Prior to the renaming of the AC line, the sponge inserts were the only biomedia. With the renaming came the addition of bio rings. If you don't have any bio rings, you can use a few plastic pot scrubbers. A second sponge can also be used in a AC to increase it's capacity. If the AC is in bypass water will exit around the inlet tube.

Probably why they changed it lol.

My cheapo Aqueon with carbon filled pads uses a plastic block to try and grow bacteria, well until I customized the filters that is, now it really filters :D.

Well, like I said, I cleaned it all out and put it back together. There were a couple of small stones or something in with the impeller shaft. How can I tell if it's filtering properly now, without pulling it off the tank and looking at the sponge again?

Thanks for all your help guys. 

If the filter is working properly, you should see a steady flow returning to the tank, hear no noise other than maybe a hum, and see the tank getting clearer.

Ok... I've always seen a steady return to the tank. So, I'm not too sure of it's really working and filtering properly or what. Any thoughts?

If you've got the filter assembled correctly, the plumbing and media aren't gunked up, and you've got the flow adjustment set to the max, I'd say the filter is working. One of the benefits of the ACs is the huge media capacity. I've got two 8"+ catfish, some rams, some rainbows, rasboras, and a betta in a 40B with an AC110. The sponge has yet to get very dirty. I usually feel like I'm wasting my time when I clean it, but the filter keeps the tank spotless.

Wow. That's crazy. This filter has had issues keeping the tank water clear. I'm not sure if it's due to the dirtiness of the filter or what. Do you have the ammonia rocks in your filter too or just the carbon and sponge? I was at the LFS yesterday and saw that there is a combo of carbon and ammonia filter. Any thoughts on that media?

And now the filter is going to have to work twice as hard... Mu daughter decided to feed the fish this am and dumped about 95% of the bottle into the tank. I got as much as I could with a PWC but it's still pretty cloudy. Any suggestions?

I syphoned as much of the food up as I could, the did a 50% water change and the water is still murky. Do you guys have any suggestions?

RugbyBunny said:
I syphoned as much of the food up as I could, the did a 50% water change and the water is still murky. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Keep doing big PWC everyday till it's gone and 2x a day is ok too. I use poly-fil in my AC50 to polish my water and while I'm dealing with tannins from new DW, I change it out once a week or so filled with junk from the DW so maybe try that.

I don't really care for any ammonia reducing chemical filter media. My biofilter takes care of the ammonia. I run sponges and the ceramic biomedia, using carbon only when I want to remove medication or tannins from the water.

Try adding a second sponge to the filter. It's possible the original sponge may have broken down a bit and is allowing some stuff to slip through.

Back
Top Bottom