AquaTech vs AquaClear vs Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Newb here. I bought one of the "all-in-one" 10 gallon kits from Wal Mart (before I found this site, and before I found a good lfs!) Actually, it turns out that it was a pretty good deal for the basics, but I've transitioned to the specialty store for ongoing support. My tank is just now being cycled for the first time, so I don't even have any fish yet. I'm following eco's cycling guide that's over in the beginner's forum.

Now my question. The kit came with an Aqua Tech 5-15 that actually does really well. It is quiet, and seems to offer really good flow rate. Browsing the forums, I've found many people are anti-carbon, as is the lfs. The salesman told me the carbon is good, but will start giving off the bad stuff once it is loaded up, and you really have no way of knowing. He recommended the Purigen product, and I'm planning to try it post-cycling. Problem is that I don't see any way to implement it with the way the Aqua Tech is set up. Been looking at the Aqua Clear and Fluval models at the lfs. Would I be better off ditching the cheapo, and buying a new filter setup, or am I worrying too much since this is just a basic 10 gallon freshwater tank? Would love to hear some comments. From a pure eye candy perspective, I liked the Fluval. The Aqua Tech is just plain black plastic which sucks since you have to take the cartridges out to determine their condition.

aqua tech filters are great filters! i have both aquatechs and aquaclears and the aqua techs are almost just as good as the aquaclears, for a fraction of the cost. im not sure what you want to do with your aquaclear but when i had one i took the carbon out of the little pocket because i do not use carbon in any of my tanks, i recall it being i little tough to take the carbon out but its well worth it, you may never have to replace the filter if you clean it briefly every other water change. if i were you i would just stick with the filter you have for now.

Did you just cut the plastic housing to get the charcoal pieces out? I'm wanting to eventually use Purigen (in the little baggie) after my tank is fully cycled, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Doesn't the water have to go thru the floss filter media BEFORE the Purigen? Or does the order really matter?

That's why I was looking at the fluval and aqua clear models. They looked much easier to work with the different filtration components.

i just broken the blue (i think it was blue) plastic that was on the back of the filter and poured the carbon out. i dont know what purigen is so i cant help you there

Purigen is a synthetic alternative to carbon. Difference is that it changes colors when it needs to be changed, and you can recharge it with a bleach/water combo. Supposed to help with odors and also keep down ammonia and nitrate levels.

Any other thoughts on 10 gallon filter comparisons? Specifically the Aqua Clear & Fluval models since I already have the Aqua Tech. TIA!

i like both but if i had to choose i would pick the aqua clear

One last bump. Does no one else use Aqua Clear or Fluval HOBs? I'd love to hear a little more detail. From what I can tell reading, they both have more filtration stages, and they both have a much better biofilter. So far it's been almost a week, and the ammonia hasn't dropped a bit yet with the Aqua Tech. Wondering if it has anything to do with quality??

cycling takes weeks, it wouldnt be the filters fault really that no bacteria have started to grow

Back
Top Bottom