Best way / place to set up RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm probably going to try and start installing my new RO/DI tomorrow. I got it for christmas, it was purchased from Melevsreef ( awsome site, and ro/di).

My question being, he has intructions on how to put it together on the site, which look great, but I was wondering whats the best way and place to mount it? I was unsure if I could just buy some hooks and stick it under the sink or if I need to do something different?

For those of you that have an Ro/di where doyou have yours set up and how do you have it set up? ( eg: to a sink, hose, outside, under the tank etc) I'm a bit confused as to where to put it - which would be the best. Help! LOL :) I'm excited to set it up but dont know where to start when it comes to where to put it / mount it.

thanks!

Figure out where you'll use it the most. For me, I have mine mounted on the wall in my utility room, which is where I make, store and mix all my water.

Figure out where you'll use it the most. For me, I have mine mounted on the wall in my utility room, which is where I make, store and mix all my water.

Thats the thing, I store my water in the garage, and I proably use the hose the most ( the storage tub is at the back of the garage, the hose outside the garage) I dont really have a place to put a large storage tub in the kitchen, but I could probably put my 5 gallon container in the kitchen, but not my 30 gal. I dont want to store the ro/di outside by the hose. I dont have a basement, otherwise this might be easier. See my dilema? LOL Any hints appreciated as the best way to go about this.

I make mine in my tool shed. I have a water hose connection on mine. I keep 5 gallon jugs on hand to fill up and I fill them up inside a rubbermaid tote to keep from flooding incase I forget.

I make mine in my tool shed. I have a water hose connection on mine. I keep 5 gallon jugs on hand to fill up and I fill them up inside a rubbermaid tote to keep from flooding incase I forget.

That sounds like a good idea. Is it possible to set up the Ro/Di in the garage and connect it to the hose when needed? ( I would imagine so since its not running 24/7 and only when you use it.. right?) Like I said before I dont want to keep it outside with the hose all the time.

I'm new to the whole ro/di thing LOL, just want to make sure I can do this the easiest way possible.

your probably didn't come with the right fitting, but yes there is a fitting that will allow you to just hook it up to the hose when you want to use it.

your probably didn't come with the right fitting, but yes there is a fitting that will allow you to just hook it up to the hose when you want to use it.

awsome. Thank you very much - I'll look into it. I know the person who bought it for me bought an extra set on connection peices because they didnt know where I'd put it up, hopefully its in there ;)

One last question, how do you have it mounted? Just sitting on a shelf? Or hooks attached to wherever you have it? (eg: drilled into the wall, 'sticky hooks' etc). It looked like on Melevs reef site, he had it drilled into the wall and attached.

2 screws are holding mine in place. The mounting bracket on mine is intended to mount this way. mines not from Melev, so i can't speak for those.

I have mine mounted to the wall in my laundry/utility room with a splitter on the water line to the washing machine and a valve to turn it on and off. Sometimes I run it directly into my 20 gallon bin but more often I fill 5 gallon jugs (the kind you can get at Home Depot) and pour them into the big bin or top off bin or wherever I need more water. The advantage to having it hooked up near the washing machine is I can also run the RO unit down the laundry drain if I need to flush it because it's been a while since I ran it.

I just got my RO/DI from Melevsreef as well. Planning on sticking it in the laundry room too. Love I can make RO, for drinking and RO/DI for the tank. Got a 2x4x4 going to anchor it to some studs and then screw the unit to the 2x4. Also got some coat hooks for hanging the tubes and wrench.

SB

I agree...where ever you put it just keep in mind that it will generate more waste water then pure so make sure you have a place for all the waste water to go. Mine is mounted in the basement near a floor drain I have so my waste water is routed out of the house and into the back yard.

Back
Top Bottom