Bio pellet reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I like to keep nori in my tank for my ranges and fox face. And to feed my fish. Problem is if I keep nori daily and feed fish every 2 days I get algae and my nitrates jump to like 30 or 40. If I run a reactor will this help so I can feed and not have algae ? Also when I say algae it's not bad but the brown type on glass and substrate. When it happens I don't feed for a few days and it's gone but I like to be consistent.

I am in the process of switching from my bio pellet reactor to vinegar dosing.
The bio pellets work but controlling its strength is questionable if not just very time consuming .You have to wait and see how much what have installed reduces nitrates .. Nothing happens fast in tanks that is good.
Vinnegar dosing , like othe carbon dosing options needs to installed daily if not 2X but the amount and effort needed is so little you could be brain dead and pull it off. I know this for fact !:whistle:
My 120 with at least 40g in sump will only require 20ml of vinegar daily. I have read a little and plan to experiment with an ATO that will dose the vinegar also as its life in dilution is not as short as vodka. I may only need to dose ATO 2-3 times a week when I fill it up..
Whether you go bio pellets or carbon dosing you need a good skimmer to get ether to work as the bacteria created that eat the nitrates need to be skimmed out or you will get a massive slime accumulation..
Unlike in freshwater where PO4 is used by plants and even dosed , phosphate is a serious problem in marine tanks . It is believed to be the root of almost all algae along with nitrates.
Most forms of carbon dosing do not effect the PO4 like nitrates so other options must be considered . They do reduce PO4 but in a 1:4 ratio or less compared to nitrates so you will need to help the PO4 get out with other efforts.Po4 needs to be very low in compare to nitrates and often get special effort for removal on its own.
I use GFO in my sump in a reactor for PO 4 removal. Others use lanthanum chloride like carbon dosing to control PO4 .

I use a bag of phosgaurd in my sump and so far my nitrates are very close to zero

Back
Top Bottom