Blackwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Does anyone know what blackwater extract is for other than to dye your water? Where do you find it?

Honestly, I don't know if it does anything than dye my water, but I use it for my blackwater tank--mostly for the dye, but also for those "trace elements" most of these additives claim to have. I found it at the lfs, but it can readily be found online. I use the stuff called Tetra BlackWater extract.

HTH!

TY. Yes, you helped that's what I wanted to know. I saw it in a book and thought it looked cool, but the book didn't really say much about it other than what it was called.

Hi,
Depend on maker, black water is actually extract from peat and various organic matter (wood, dead leaf, etc).

Most black water suppose have the same effact as using the peat filtering. It increase the water acidic, add various mineral to the water etc.

Black water element also make the fish to have harder skin therefore make the fish more immune to fungus and parasit.

But is the fish is spawning in tank with overdose black water then the egg shell become too hard for the fry the hatch out n eventually the fry will drown in its own shell.

HTH.

Is it true that you can't use carbon in your filter, otherwise the color would be removed?

Is it true that you can't use carbon in your filter, otherwise the color would be removed?

Back
Top Bottom