Bought a fluval 406 to replace 405 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just received my new fluval 406 to replace my old 405 and have a few questions.

1) I used to use polyfill in my 405. I see the 06 comes with bio-foam and polishing pads. I'm assuming I don't need to use the polyfill anymore unless the foam or pads get destroyed, right?

2) I had noise issues with my old 05 model. Just in case it was caused by how I set it up is there an ideal length for the hoses?

For example my 50 gallon is 4' long. I have the canister in the cabinet under the right side of the tank. The input was above the canister (short length) and the output went to the left side of the tank (long length). Does this make a difference on the impeller/motor working harder? Hope that made sense lol.

3) If the answer(s) to #2 is yes, would it be less strain on the motor to have the intake and output near each other on the right side, but aim the flow towards the left of the tank?

Some of these seem like silly questions to me lol. But I'd like this new 06 to last longer than two years before it kicks the bucket like my 05 did.

Thanks!

Just received my new fluval 406 to replace my old 405 and have a few questions.

1) I used to use polyfill in my 405. I see the 06 comes with bio-foam and polishing pads. I'm assuming I don't need to use the polyfill anymore unless the foam or pads get destroyed, right?

2) I had noise issues with my old 05 model. Just in case it was caused by how I set it up is there an ideal length for the hoses?

For example my 50 gallon is 4' long. I have the canister in the cabinet under the right side of the tank. The input was above the canister (short length) and the output went to the left side of the tank (long length). Does this make a difference on the impeller/motor working harder? Hope that made sense lol.

3) If the answer(s) to #2 is yes, would it be less strain on the motor to have the intake and output near each other on the right side, but aim the flow towards the left of the tank?

Some of these seem like silly questions to me lol. But I'd like this new 06 to last longer than two years before it kicks the bucket like my 05 did.

Thanks!
Hey Steve, i would still use the polyfil. I always use it, even in my small internal filters. You can never have too much!!. On the tube length's, IMO it doesn't really matter if the inlet/outlet tubes are different lengths, within reason of course. The motor's main job is to pump the water BACK to the tank, not to suck it out. Eg, if you remove the outlet tube(one coming from the tank) and get a bucket, open the valve and you will have a pretty strong water flow into the bucket. I do this for my midweek PWC, if i don't have to gravel vac... The length of the return tube would be the deciding factor on the flow rate. As your's is shorter, it is ideal. If you are still concerned, set it up with the outlet at one end and the inlet at the opposite end. Try this for a while and if you think it's not sufficient, then you could keep the inlet/outlet on the same side...
I always keep one at each end and use a powerhead to give some extra circulation.
When you set it up, if you think it is a bit noisy, GENTLY shake it from side to side and this will release any trapped air....
PS... If you don't have any Purigen in there, try some. Great product. Also look up Seachem Matrix bio-media.....

Hey Steve, i would still use the polyfil. I always use it, even in my small internal filters. You can never have too much!!. On the tube length's, IMO it doesn't really matter if the inlet/outlet tubes are different lengths, within reason of course. The motor's main job is to pump the water BACK to the tank, not to suck it out. Eg, if you remove the outlet tube(one coming from the tank) and get a bucket, open the valve and you will have a pretty strong water flow into the bucket. I do this for my midweek PWC, if i don't have to gravel vac... The length of the return tube would be the deciding factor on the flow rate. As your's is shorter, it is ideal. If you are still concerned, set it up with the outlet at one end and the inlet at the opposite end. Try this for a while and if you think it's not sufficient, then you could keep the inlet/outlet on the same side...
I always keep one at each end and use a powerhead to give some extra circulation.
When you set it up, if you think it is a bit noisy, GENTLY shake it from side to side and this will release any trapped air....
PS... If you don't have any Purigen in there, try some. Great product. Also look up Seachem Matrix bio-media.....

Thanks for a lot of good info!

Correct me if I'm wrong but from your message I'm understanding that you recommend the return/output to be a shorter hose. The way my 05 was setup the return/output back to the tank hose was the longest at about 4ft and the intake into the canister was shortest at 2.5ft. Should I switch this for the 06 and have the return/output shortest at 2.5ft?

Thanks again your info was a big help!

PS purigen removes organics before they breakdown right?

Thanks for a lot of good info!

Correct me if I'm wrong but from your message I'm understanding that you recommend the return/output to be a shorter hose. The way my 05 was setup the return/output back to the tank hose was the longest at about 4ft and the intake into the canister was shortest at 2.5ft. Should I switch this for the 06 and have the return/output shortest at 2.5ft?

Thanks again your info was a big help!

PS purigen removes organics before they breakdown right?
Yeah sorry i keep getting my wording for the inlet/outlets wrong. Ideally they should bought be equal but this is not possible in your case, so i would go with the return to the tank from the canister being the shortest. There is a way around it though, if you don't cut the hose's, they will bought still be equal... Make sense??

PS.. That's exactly what the purigen does, plus polishes the water...

Yeah sorry i keep getting my wording for the inlet/outlets wrong. Ideally they should bought be equal but this is not possible in your case, so i would go with the return to the tank from the canister being the shortest. There is a way around it though, if you don't cut the hose's, they will bought still be equal... Make sense??

PS.. That's exactly what the purigen does, plus polishes the water...

Sounds good thanks. I'm actually about to hook it up now. I'll go with the shorter return!

I think the main thing is no slack in the lines. I guess my output is longer than the intake side.

Finally done swapping it out. It's amazing how quiet it is compared to my old 405. I don't think I've heard the living room this quiet in about 7 or 8 months lol.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Time to sit back and enjoy:popcorn::popcorn:

Lol no kidding! When we would watch tv before it was never higher than "7" on the volume control. I finally noticed we were bumping up the volume to 25-30 and figured it was enough lol.

Hopefully switching things around for the new filter will put less strain on it/keep the motor from wearing out (if that was the problem at all lol).

Back
Top Bottom