can i do this with a canister filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a magnum 350 canister filter i dont use anymore, it has the option to use a very fine filter to polish the water, and it has a media box that is for carbon. the filter is 100% pass through, meaning all the water that enters the filter goes through the filter or media box.. can i use this as a reactor?? and if yes,can i do carbon/nitrate media combo?

and if it will make a good reactor, what else do people use reactors for??

I *think* most of the nitrate reducing media used in saltwater want a low flow rate through the reactor/canister. That Magnum pushes at 350 gal/hr, and I think that's too much.

I have the HOB version of the Magnum (the 250) and I run Purigen, carbon, and/or GFO (granulated ferric oxide for phosphate reduction) in it... but not directly in it. I put the media in mesh bags and put the bags in the media box.

Water changes are your best way to manage nitrate concentration, especially since it is not just nitrate that is harmful, just the easiest thing to test for.

You can definitely put other medias in the cartridge that holds carbon. A true media reactor uses a specific flow rate to prevent the media from being broken apart or sitting stagnant. I am assuming this is freshwater since you said something about a nitrate removing media. Depending on the fish you have and your water chemistry you could stick some crushed coral in there to help keep the pH/KH up if necessary.

The polishing cartridge is not made to be used all the time, it is designed to be put in for a few hours to polish the tank on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom