Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marbie said:
Hi Tom,

I've got a 36 gal bowfront, 30" across top. Do you think 2 20W would be too much light for it?

If you have corals I think one 25W would be enough, but if you have a center brace then you might want to get two so there are no shadows casting. If you had two 25Ws then you would probably need to raise them pretty high from the tank.

If you don't have corals or you have freshwater then I would suggest two - three 10W lights.

Just my opinions, I am no expert!

Ya with your's you have them really close to the water, allot of hoods would put them up heigher and thus have more area covered. For your 36 gallon tank I would imagine 2 would be good.

I am thinking for my tank I would start with 3 and prob need 4, but who knows.

didysis said:
Ya with your's you have them really close to the water, allot of hoods would put them up heigher and thus have more area covered. For your 36 gallon tank I would imagine 2 would be good.

I am thinking for my tank I would start with 3 and prob need 4, but who knows.

Yea I'm planning on getting a third once I get my canopy built because then they will be raised. When I lift up my lights just a few inches the rippling effect looks awesome.

I think four on a 125 would be ideal.

Lights are still going great, I don't have many corals in there yet but I'm testing them out on frags (birdsnest, frogspawn, mushrooms, and a few more softies), everything is continuing to grow and seem to like the LEDs. Also the 10W 6500K has been growing my macro for over a month and I would say its better than the spiral bulbs I had in the sump before.

I'm currently building the canopy to house them, I have also found some 10W small blue lights (470nm) that I plan on getting, I will post some pics of the canopy once it's sanded painted a hung off the ceiling.

I have had no issues with the LEDs so far...

Attachments

• image-2278536376.jpg
    image-2278536376.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 359
  • image-152631676.jpg
    image-152631676.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 616
Looks Great :popcorn: I almost wish my current lights were not working so I could buy a couple, I still might towards the end of the month if I can convince my self to do so.

Lights are still going great, I don't have many corals in there yet but I'm testing them out on frags (birdsnest, frogspawn, mushrooms, and a few more softies), everything is continuing to grow and seem to like the LEDs. Also the 10W 6500K has been growing my macro for over a month and I would say its better than the spiral bulbs I had in the sump before.

I'm currently building the canopy to house them, I have also found some 10W small blue lights (470nm) that I plan on getting, I will post some pics of the canopy once it's sanded painted a hung off the ceiling.

I have had no issues with the LEDs so far...

Ibrahim said:
Do you have a link to lights that's 25w? Im interested in 2 for my 25g

Just do a search on eBay for 25w led flood light, there's tons, you just have to check the k/ color rating. These are 12000k. I think one would be as much as a 25g could handle unless you raise them considerably.

TomStav said:
Just do a search on eBay for 25w led flood light, there's tons, you just have to check the k/ color rating. These are 12000k. I think one would be as much as a 25g could handle unless you raise them considerably.

Idk I'm trying to grow SPS so maybe I'll get two actinic bulb t5s along with one led fixture

Ibrahim said:
Idk I'm trying to grow SPS so maybe I'll get two actinic bulb t5s along with one led fixture

I think you should start with one, you could always get a second. Let us know if you get them and how you rate them.

TomStav said:

I did a search and only one light bulb came up so a link whenever you can would be helpful

Ibrahim said:
I did a search and only one light bulb came up so a link whenever you can would be helpful

Odd, there a hundreds, perhaps you are only searching within the USA, there all located in Hong Kong, make sure the check other countries button is checked... Does that work?

TomStav said:
Odd, there a hundreds, perhaps you are only searching within the USA, there all located in Hong Kong, make sure the check other countries button is checked... Does that work?

Nope. Still doesn't work

so now you've got me thinking I want some of these on my 150 fw planted set up, just for reference what's the height of your tank ?

manbeast said:
so now you've got me thinking I want some of these on my 150 fw planted set up, just for reference what's the height of your tank ?

Currently have them on a 72g bow front, I believe it's 21" tall, there abouts.

Back
Top Bottom