Back For More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADW76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone -- it's literally been years since I've been on this forum, but I've taken the plunge again and trying my hand at fish-keeping again. I've made a lot of mistakes and spent a lot of money with a lot of failed attempts. I'm a little older, a little wiser, and I'm armed with a lot more information on keeping fish. I think I'll always consider myself a newbie in the hobby, but hopefully with my improved knowledge, a little luck, and all of you experts -- I will have success!

So I've gone to my local fish store and bought myself:
- 35G Cube Tank w/ Stand
- Tidal 35 Filter
- EHEIM 150W Adjustable Thermometer
- AQUAEL Leddy Slim 10W LED 6500K Sunny Light Fixture

I've added some fine black substrate sand and a couple of natural-looking decorations. My plan is to have some live plants and community fish species. I filled up, checked for leaks, and set the thermometer to 76 degrees.

My first challenge is that the tap water here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada has a fairly high kH and pH. The pH I tested at about 7.6-7.8 which I think is a bit high for a planted aquarium. I'm going to test the kH soon (when I get a test kit for it), but from what I hear, Edmonton water is on the hard side.

Doing some research on how to lower the pH. I've researched a natural solution using Catappa Leaves -- apparently, I can put three or four of them in my filter and it will gently lower the pH. More research is required - unless some of you have some advice on this. I'm not even sure I can get said leaves anywhere near here.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling - but I'm excited to be back in the hobby. Wish me luck -- I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom