Coralife Aqualight won't turn on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the second time it's happened, the first time to my 30" light and this time to my 48" light. They are both single-light fixtures, straight pin. The 48" has two CF bulbs in it.

With the 30" I took it apart to see if I could find a loose connection, corrosion, anything that looked wrong-no luck. I ended up buying a new one. The only thing I can think of is maybe the ballast, but I don't think I can replace that myself. In fact, I'm not sure whether there is just one ballast or two in the fixture.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? I will call their support line tomorrow (closed for the day) but it's been dark for a couple days in my 75...Any suggestions appreciated!

You did try changing the bulbs, right? <If the 48" has 2 CF bulbs, you might need to change both bulbs. Some lights are wired in series & if one bulb is bad, both won't light.>

It is most likely a connection problem. you need to check all the wires/connections with an ohm-meter. <I am sure you know to unplug the lamp first before you take it apart .... Fluorescent ballasts put out HIGH voltages!> Also check that you have power going to the lamp - plug something else in the socket to make sure it works.

I don't know how to test a ballast short of swapping it with another one. <I've never have a ballast failure & I have fluorescent fixtures all over the house, some going back 20+ years.>

Back
Top Bottom