Craigslist find?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just recently been considering setting up a saltwater tank and have started doing some research. I was checking out Craigslist to see if I saw any really good deals. I came across this listing:

Bow front Saltwater Aquarium and loads of accessories. I bought this earlier in the year with the intentions of building into a wall in my basement. I couldn't find time to even get started let alone keep a saltwater aquarium up to snuff so I am selling it on craigslist. I paid $350 so at $300 I am taking a loss but I want to get it out of my basement soon!

Aquarium measures 36" wide X 12.5" long X 21" Tall.

I think this is 50 gallons and the sump is 25 gallons. I have been told the sump alone is worth $200.

There is a protein skimmer and two power heads as well as loads of accessories. I am not willing to separate anything here so its $250 for the whole thing.

I emailed him and the center width at the bow is 16 3/8". Also, he said he thinks that the tank is glass. I'm pretty sure it's more than 50 gallons.

Being a newb I don't really know if it's really a good deal or not. The size of the tank seems about right for me, and I wanted a glass tank too which is good.

On the other hand I don't know what kind of skimmer that is, can't find any info on it, and looks to me like there may be some parts missing. The sump seems odd to me. It doesn't match any designs I have seen and I can't figure out the logic behind it's setup. I would likely either try to remove the sections if possible and reconfigure it, or just buy a 20 gal. glass tank cheap and buy some glass pieces and make my own. The, what I assume is a heater, looks used which is a no no from my research. The other accessories could possibly come in handy at some point but it's too soon to tell for sure.

So the bottom line is, if I exclude all of the other items, is it still worth the money and the long drive I would have to make for just the tank or should I just wait for something else to come along.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 128
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 112
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 129
Here is a chart for the size of the tank
26 Bowfront — 24 x 15 x 21
28 Bowfront — 24 x 16 x 18
36 Bowfront — 30 x 15 x 21
46 Bowfront — 36 x 15 x 20
72 Bowfront — 48 x 18 x 22
90 Bowfront — 48 x 18 x 29
155 Bowfront — 72 x 24 x 24
175 Bowfront — 72 x 24 x 29

It seems like a lot of stuff but as you say you aren't sure of brands and if all the pieces are there (you can make some things work sometimes) otherwise you have a useless item, where buying a part can be more than buying a used item.

Sometimes lfs's will have a bone yard where they have bits and pieces of things in the back.

Does it leak?

I am a bargainer so I would offer him much less. Just to buy a used 46G you can expect to pay 100-125 more if there is a stand, a little less if it isn't all black trim /this is the oak color.

(Btw, as a side note, there is the dollar per gallon sale going on at petco.) You would need to get or build a stand. For that full price I would get a tank and stand combo somewhere else, but I am not handy to build my own nice looking stand. I think it really depends on the quality of the extra equipment, which I don't know about.

Good luck on thinking through the decision. Maybe you will get some good input if the extra equipment is recognized.

re:

Thanks for the info. After some thought I think I am going to put together my own aquarium when I get to that point so I can make the size exactly to fit my needs and save some money.

Sometimes saving money comes from not wasting it by buying the wrong things. Good research and checking of peoples experiences and from understanding what you will need. You can save money by getting exactly what you want at the beginning even if that means buying used or waiting to save enough.

Sometimes saving money comes from not wasting it by buying the wrong things. Good research and checking of peoples experiences and from understanding what you will need. You can save money by getting exactly what you want at the beginning even if that means buying used or waiting to save enough.

I can second that, so I bought a brand new one after looking at used ones..

To add to buying on Craigslist:

If the price seems to good to be true, the tank probably leaks....

Petco dollar per gallon is going on now , for what a new tank costs there it's pretty much a no brain er over a used one.

That is beyond a deal if it the ad is for real and it doesn't leak.

It seems there is a listing error and it it should be $300.00 not $30.00

It's hard to tell what type of filter it has, that size tank would do best with a sump especially for salt.

I don't have any experience with Jebo lights, but I don't see them mentioned as strong saltwater lights.

I also don't see a skimmer...

I'd always purchase a new heater with a used set up - it just isn't worth the risk....

It's a nice size tank and it's acrylic, but I think you will need a number of additional expensive items to make this efficient with salt.

The way it sits, this tank is best suited for freshwater.

It's a JEBO tank and light combo. I had a 35G it had a built in filter in the rear of the light, worked well with FW and SW. The light I had was a 50/50 actinic /daylight and it grew plants very well. And mine was actually glass. So I wonder for sure if glass, it was bent like that as well, and glass. The one I had was well made.

It's a JEBO tank and light combo. I had a 35G it had a built in filter in the rear of the light, worked well with FW and SW. The light I had was a 50/50 actinic /daylight and it grew plants very well. And mine was actually glass. So I wonder for sure if glass, it was bent like that as well, and glass. The one I had was well made.

It looks like it was awesome and has the potential to shine again. But our house couldn't take that weight. We'd have to add more supports.

Back
Top Bottom