Current USA Orbit Mini-review (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was originally planning to get a Coralife 20 inch 96w Quad light for the 10g nano tank I am setting up. Getting the 96w Coralife with legs + moonlight was going to push the cost of the light up to $110, so I started looking around at other options. There are very limited bulb options on the Coralife as well. I have nothing against Coralife, I just did not feel like they sold a good solution for my 10g nano. Current USA is a "new" company that is a continuation of Custom Sea Life (which went out of business). For $120, I got the 2x 40w Current USA light with three seperate power cords and a built in moonlight.

My light showed up early this weekend, I was very happy taking it out of the box. It certainly feels a lot more sturdy than my Coralife light, and the wiring is thicker throughout. The mounting brackets are pretty nice as well, being large solid pieces that hold the tank well. The instructions were nothing fancy, but enough to get you going. Another nice bonus in the box, my 20 inch light has TWO moonlight instead of the one listed on the Current USA website and the site I ordered the light from. One bulb in the fixture is a dual daylight 6700K and 10,000K bulb, and the other is a dual actinic with 420 and 460 ratings.

This light is advertised as a 24 hour lighting solution, hence the daylights and actinics being on seperate bulbs. The light has three power cords, I setup the actinics and daylights on different timers for a night -> dusk -> day -> dawn effect. It was pretty late once I got the whole thing setup, so i just used the moonlights at first. The moonlight are white LEDs, which is OK, but blue might have been a bit better looking and I may try small blue light covers in a few weeks. I could clearly see everything in the tank with the moonlights on.

The dawn -> day -> dusk went without a hitch and the colors look nice when the day effect is going. Just actinics looks neat too, and some things really stand out. The built in fan only turns on when the daylight bulb is on. I have not notice the light get anything more than warm so the fan works really well.

Anyway, I am happy I got this light and it is a good stepping stone on the way the MHs :) I should have enough light to keep me busy for a while. Hope this information can help someone out, here are the comparison pics of the different light combinations:

Night with two moonlights:

reef18.jpg

Dawn/dusk with the actinics:

reef19.jpg

Just the daylight bulb (not used, just for comparison):

reef20.jpg

Day with both bulbs:

reef21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom