Do I need another pump for uv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOLPH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pump for the skimmer, a return pump and another pump connected to a closed loop. I want to get a 25w UV and possibly a filter for GAC or purigen. Is there a way I can connect the uv and filter without purchasing and/or using another pump?

I think for best results your UV should have a flow of 200-350gph. If one of your pumps moves that kind of water then you could put it inline with it. If not you may need an additonal pump.

My advice is to check the required "dwell time" for your UV to function properly. All reputable UV dealers list acceptable dwell times for their sterilizers. In a strange sense, slower flow is better for UV because it allows them to sterilize more efficiently. Find the UV unit's rated dwell time, compare that to your pump's rated flow rate, and adjust for other in-line flow obstacles (filtration, heaters, etc.). It never hurts to use too much UV, IMHO, so buy a unit that may be over-rated for what you're doing.

That system is my dream system. It's what I was thinking about when I wrote that last post. If you can afford it, do it :)

Back
Top Bottom