Does anybody use foam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my 55G, SW, I removed the sponges, as they were nitrAte factories. I'm going to move this to the General Hardware section.

I use a foam block in an AquaClear 70 on my 55 gallon planted tank, along with two bags of biomax (ceramic pieces) and no carbon. Because of the plant matter I have to rinse out the foam every three weeks or so, and I replace it (by adding a new block above the old one for a few weeks) every 6 months or so when the old block starts to fall apart.

ladycage, the bacteria that live on the foam blocks break down the waste products from the fish and produce nitrate (NO3). In a freshwater tank NO3 is removed with water changes and is not usually a problem. In saltwater tanks, especially reef tanks, NO3 is very bad for corals and invertebrates and should be maintained at the lowest levels possible (0, ideally). Most saltwater tanks use skimmers to remove NO3 and other waste products, and don't use foam, biomax or bio balls in their filters as they produce too much NO3.

I have foam in my FW tank also but I took all foam and bio-balls out of my SW as they were causing more problems then they were doing good...

I concur

newfound77951 said:
I use a foam block in an AquaClear 70 on my 55 gallon planted tank, along with two bags of biomax (ceramic pieces) and no carbon. Because of the plant matter I have to rinse out the foam every three weeks or so, and I replace it (by adding a new block above the old one for a few weeks) every 6 months or so when the old block starts to fall apart.
I have nearly the exact same setup and this strategy works well for me too.

Wow I had forgotten that I posted this question!
The reason I asked is because I have a ton of different thickness of foam/sponge and was testing the water to see if it would be advisable to barter/trade/sell it here on the proper section of AA.
I use it on my fresh water tank and rinse it off when it clogs. Still on the same piece. Has not started to wear down yet.
So I guess I will place it in the trade section.

Back
Top Bottom