Dosing topoff water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been contemplating dosing my 55 gallon top off barrel to get the CA/PH levels up to match the main before adding.
Does anyone see a problem with doing this. I no longer have a sump because of a bad overflow so I would like to get the top off water up to 400 or 450 if this is ok should I use kalkwasser or something else.

I think it would be much easier for you to simply use kalkwasser. That will take care of the majority of your alk/ca needs. If you still are in need of more ca/alk you can always dose those seperately.

Be aware since your topoff water will not have salt mix, it will take more to maintain the levels you want in the topoff water. Just be sure not to "over do it"

Thanks for the replies guys... So if I get my 55 gal gallons of top off water up to 400 to 450 CA it should stay at that level because nothing is using it right? also if Im adding the topoff that is at lets say 450 then the main tank "should" maintain or stay close to those numbers right?

Are you planning on dosing Mg too? I doubt you will be able to get the Ca level in FW above 350ppm without adding in Mg even if you get the alk around 8dkh.

Honestly, I've never attempted what you are doing. You are more than welcome to try but I think you may find that it will be much simpler to use Kalk and then dose the tank if needed.

Biggen said:
Are you planning on dosing Mg too? I doubt you will be able to get the Ca level in FW above 350ppm without adding in Mg even if you get the alk around 8dkh.

Honestly, I've never attempted what you are doing. You are more than welcome to try but I think you may find that it will be much simpler to use Kalk and then dose the tank if needed.

your probably right,it would be a whole lot easier to dose the the main.My thought was if I got all the levels in the top off water where they should be I would not have to mess with the main so much...

Oh, I totally agree. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do it without basically making a "chemical soup" of FW and going from there.

If you decide to do it, please post your results! I'd love to see how it works out.

Biggen said:
Oh, I totally agree. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do it without basically making a "chemical soup" of FW and going from there.

If you decide to do it, please post your results! I'd love to see how it works out.

I still may try this,I dont see a problem with this,actually I think this would be better for the main. even if I cant get to 400,300 would be better than nothing at all and then with my weekly water changes it should work...we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom