Drilling holes in glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 gallon DT along with a sump. What I would really like to do is add a 20 gallon to the system along next to the DT. This tank is just collecting dust and I thought that it would look great next to my DT. I could add some LR and some macro algae. I was also thinking about getting an anemone once everything is established.

The only problem is that it's not reef ready. I'd like for a pump to take water to the 20 gallon and another hose to bring it back to the main sump. So I'm just wondering how I drill two holes into this tank. More than likely, I would just drill two holes side by side near the top.

I do have a few questions: Is there a way to drill the holes without literally taking the tank apart? Is there something I could use to bring the water back to the sump without drilling and not spending too much? Would it just be easier to just make this 20 gallon into it's own system?

I had an old Orca nano that i drilled, a return pump from my main system and a little weir to drain water back. Drilling I found easy....... mask off the area with tape and let it slowly go through dont force it.....I clamped a piece of wood the other side to offer support. My return is is near to the top and drain a third the way down with a hand made weir.........I have a valve to control the flow in so I dont flood my house. On the return I have plumbed in an old spray bar to get the flow spread across the tank.

Attachments

• DSC01807.jpg
    DSC01807.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01798.jpg
    DSC01798.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 92
Divedeep1869, thanks for putting a name to the item I was thinking about. I'm a little hesitant about drilling glass; if it was an acrylic tank, I'd have no problem. So I think I'll go with the hob overflow to connect the 20 gallon tank with the main sump.

Thanks

no problem and like i said that brand i posted has been working great on my tank i check the siphon tube during my water changes to keep a good siphon

Back
Top Bottom