filter advice needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all
I,m new here and any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 120 litre cold water tank which has been running with an interpet PF4 for about 3 years. I have had intermittent problems with noise which have generally resolved by switching on and off again and fiddling with the impeller. Over the past couple of months the noise has gradually got worse and the filter is not working as it should......tank getting dirty very quickly and virtually nothing in the filter material. I've replaced the impeller, no joy....so I'm gathering a replacement is in order:ermm:

I'm reluctant to get the same model again as I have almost been brought to tears on occasion trying to stop the noise:banghead:

I've read that the Fluval is a better alternative and just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers. Thanks in advance

Hi Jen and welcome to AA!!!.
Fluval are a very good choice, reliable, parts and media readily available. Very popular, quality filter. You won't go wrong with one of these.
Eheim also have great filters but tend to be a bit more expensive. They are brilliant filters and tend to last longer than most others. I don't have either but have read many posts on both and they are both highly regarded amongst fellow members. I would suggest, when people recommend a filter brand/model, do a bit of research yourself and see if it fits your needs, size, cost, flow-rate, replacement media/parts etc. You will get some great advice in no time. Good luck with whatever you choose.... Ian

Hi Jen and welcome to AA!!!.
Fluval are a very good choice, reliable, parts and media readily available. Very popular, quality filter. You won't go wrong with one of these.
Eheim also have great filters but tend to be a bit more expensive. They are brilliant filters and tend to last longer than most others. I don't have either but have read many posts on both and they are both highly regarded amongst fellow members. I would suggest, when people recommend a filter brand/model, do a bit of research yourself and see if it fits your needs, size, cost, flow-rate, replacement media/parts etc. You will get some great advice in no time. Good luck with whatever you choose.... Ian

Hi Ian
Thank you for the welcome and response.
I,ve ended up going for a JBL Cristalprofi i100 after much research.
I have to say I,m impressed so far, it has a 4 year warranty, interchangeable parts and a good range of different filter materials which are not too pricey.
Best of all it is really quiet!
I,ve noticed a big difference in the tank already. It really shows how badly the old filter has been performing!

Thanks again
Jen

That's great. I'm glad you got a filter that does the job and you are happy with. A little tip, if I may, try and get some filter floss into one of the trays, preferably the top tray. You can pick up floss in any craft/hobby store. A big bag for a few dollars. You can also use NEW cheap bed pillows. Just make sure both state that they are 100% polyester, no additives(fire retardants etc). This stuff is amazing, cheap and will help keep your water very clear.....

+1 on polyfill. Its the same stuff water polishing pads are made out of at 10% of the price.

Back
Top Bottom