Filter possibly over heated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kdh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I've just started out with a 20L tank a month ago. Today I was doing a water change and adding some sand to the tank (was previously just gravel) when my Aqua One Clearview hang on filter suddenly stopped. I have not been able to get it started again. I have taken it apart and cleaned it but still to no avail. I read elsewhere that it is advisable to turn the filter off when you do a water change otherwise it will over heat. I was not aware of this so now I fear this may be the issue. Will the filter work again? Do I just give it some time? Or do I need to go and buy another???

If it was running dry for any period of time its possible something overheated and seized up. If taking apart, cleaning and reassembling doesnt get things started i dont think its going to magically start running again.

Is there no sign of life, or is it just you cant get it primed?

Its likely that the failure was user error, but if its new cant you return it, say its faulty and get a replacement?

The old Aquaclear HOB filters could run dry and heat up and stop working. But when they cooled down they would work again. Not sure about the newer models but hopefully they are the same.

Make sure the water level in the aquarium is above the motor on the filter. If the water level is too low it won't suck water into the tank.

Fill the filter before turning it on. They won't self prime from empty.

Take the motor off the filter case and check the impellor (magnet with 3 or 4 plastic blades on one end). You should be able to hold the magnet and gently turn the plastic blades. They should turn about 180 degrees and then stop. If you can turn the plastic blades around repeatedly whilst holding the magnet, the impellor needs replacing. You can glue the plastic blades to the impellor in an emergency. Just use super glue and let it dry for 10 minutes then try it out.

While the motor is off, plug it into a power socket and turn it on for a few seconds. See if the impellor spins.

Back
Top Bottom