Filter for sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium. I use sand substrate which as I have learned kills your filter. I have been through five Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel filters, the sand just eats through th impellers which scratches the housing and ruins the filter. What type of filter is suggested for this kind of setup? Any filters in particular? I was thinking about getting an aquaclear but wasn't sure if they would have the same problem, as they are both power filters. Do I just need to get a canister or something? Are pre-filters effective, any that you can suggest? My budget is $75. Also, it would be nice if it had a compartment for a heater. Thanks in advance.

I have sand in both my tanks and I switched from marine land to aquaclear. You can get the prefilter which is same as the fluval pre filter.

I used to have problems with play sand but after switching to pool filter sand, it never goes high enough to go into my impeller.

I have sand in both my tanks and I switched from marine land to aquaclear. You can get the prefilter which is same as the fluval pre filter.

I used to have problems with play sand but after switching to pool filter sand, it never goes high enough to go into my impeller.
Okay thanks, would you happen to have a link to the prefilter or one you reccomend? I might give the aquaclear a try before getting a canister.

why are you using a filter on a saltwater tank? I to used one on my 25g nano for awhile but found it is just terrible to have because it builds up nasty ness and pollute your tank. its better to just run a skimmer only.

Perhaps your Marineland filter intake is too close to the bottom of the sand substrate. If its too close, then the sand will get sucked into the filter.

why are you using a filter on a saltwater tank? I to used one on my 25g nano for awhile but found it is just terrible to have because it builds up nasty ness and pollute your tank. its better to just run a skimmer only.
In my original post I stated that it was a freshwater tank.

Perhaps your Marineland filter intake is too close to the bottom of the sand substrate. If its too close, then the sand will get sucked into the filter.
It is nowhere near the bottom of the sand substrate, but thanks for your suggestion. I also have a rock under the intake so there is no sand under it as well. Perhaps my cory catfish are blowing the sand into the filter?

Mark, I went through exactly the same situation you're in now. I had a Penguin on my 29g. It was a great filter until I switched to a sand substrate. I went through two impellers before I gave up and switched to an AquaClear 70. I have sand in all my tanks and ACs filtering all of them with no problems whatsoever.

I use a Fluval prefilter , but you can also just cut a piece of Sponge to cover the intake. My friend does that for her large filters. Black sponges blend in well.

I have sand in most of my tanks. No filter issues.

Back
Top Bottom