Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
So what is the policy on filter cleaning, how often should I wash out my filter.

I realize that most of my biological filtration takes place in my filter, but the gunk is really building up.

clean it out as often as you feel the need... just as long as you rinse it in either dechlorinated water, or old tank water... you won't kill of the bacteria. Does your filter have sponges in it?

All i do with mine is about once every two weeks i take them apart and scrub them with sponges i use only for the filter. I rinse all the media really good, I clean out the pipes and intake tube... and then i put it back together and back on.

I do mine once a month. I rinse the spoges in old tank water and use them till they fall apart. A good test if you need to rinse them is if your water flow is reduced.

Put some tank water in a bucket or other container and rinse when necessary (depends on fish) or replace the filter media if it gets really bad.

What kind of filter do you have?

Many have biological media (usually ceramic cylinders or a bio-wheel) that hold bacteria when the rest of the filtration media (activated carbon, floss) is changed. As long as you don't change the bio media you can change everything else daily and clean it hourly if you liked w/o harming your bio-filter.

Back
Top Bottom