filtration for cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxboilermaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is going to get water tomorrow and begin cycling. Unfortunatly I had to modify my bio wheels to get them to fit on the back of my tank....and the parts are still in the mail. So, would it still be benificial to just have the tank full or water sitting with an ammonia source in it? I'll have seed gravel in there too, so it will just be missing filtration. I can run an air stone if it just needs surface agitation. I realize that it won't be helping the culture in the filter, but I really want to get it started and don't want to have to reconfigure the filter tubing in another week just to incorperate the bio wheels. (which are currently sitting in my existing tank).

While nitrifying bacteria will eventually get a foothold in gravel and ornaments, the rate of water flow has a large factor in the bacteria population growth rate. Just one of the reasons why bio wheels and sponge filters are so effective. I would suggest setting up an inexpensive sponge filter instead of an air stone and leaving it in place until your tank is completely cycled.

Back
Top Bottom