Filtration Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salmon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O.K. I've been posting under the "Cichlids!!" thread and will continue to do so, but how about some info on filtration systems? Let's get a discussion going about the pros and cons of the following:
1. HOB's
2. Canister filters (like the fluval systems)
3. Hood filtration systems (like the marineland eclipse)
4. Undergravel/powerheads
Now, I realize it depends upon size of aquarium and species you are keeping, but this is a good place to begin discussion of the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Hobs are nice for smaller tanks because they have biowheels and are easier for most beginners and are cheaper then canisters imo.

canisters create more surface agitation and they let you put whatever media you like (i think)

i think hood is kinda like Hob except its in the hood

and undergravel i wouldnt recommend.

Why don't people like undergravel/powerheads, and what are biowheels?

Remember, pros/cons:
1. HOB's
2. Canisters
3. Hood systems
4. UGF's/Powerheads

HOB's with the biowheel and hood filtration systems are the same thing. I like canisters for the larger containers since I like the surface agitation and the customizable options they offer. UGF's are a decent filter, they just don't work for cichlids. If you search there's been lots of debates on filter types on the site, that's probably a good place for info.

Hi. New to this site.
I can tell you about in the hood filters as I just got one. A 37gal Eclipse3 deluxe show combo. It seems to work just like a HOB power filter. The hood is taller than most others and the filter is above the tank instead outside it. It uses a simple cartridge type media and a biowheel. rated at 250 GPH. Evaporation should be less with this setup.
I just purchased this tank and have no fish in it yet. So I can't say how well it works. After the tank is fully stocked I may look into extra filtration if needed.
It has been about 6 years since I had a tank. Was surprised at how bio wheels took over the UGF. Other than that not much has changed over the years.

Here's my opinion. It's true that the hood filters function the same as a HOB filter. I have a 5 gal. tank with a hood filter and to be honest I really can't stand it. It's hard enough to get into the tank to do any maitenence as it is due to its small size plus there's a filter in the way as well. I'm not sure if all hood filters are like this but the lid for the hood opens over the filter. So when the lid is opened, there's crack no bigger than an inch wide between the filter and the edge of the hood. So anything other than feeding the hood has to come completely off making it difficult to see what you're trying to do in the tank unless of course you have a good amount of lighting that the tank is in. The only real advantage I see in hood filtration is that you don't have equipment hanging on the back of the tank, but even still, that's what a background is partially for right? :wink:

There's a lot of debate on undergravel filters. The main opinions that I've come across is that they're a thing of the past.

Canisters are great for larger tanks. I've personally never used one. I was going to get one for the tank I just got but then wound up getting a 180 gal. which is bigger than I had originally planned so I have a wet/dry filter. I've never seen canisters come close to that size but not quite. Anyways, canisters are nice because to do have the option on which filter media you can use and the maitenence period is supposed to be a bit longer than a HOB filter. I've heard horror stories about fluvals leaking though.

I've heard horror stories about fluvals leaking though.
To be fair to Fluval, there are horror stories about all filters :)

Personally, I have had no problems with my two Fluvals, or my Via Aqua. I really like canister filters on my 29 gal tanks and larger. I use only ceramic media in the baskets to give lots of room for bacteria to colonize and very thing has been fine!

It must be the smaller Eclipse hoods are different.
The Eclipse3 hood has 2 lids. You open the filter lid then the front lid (with the light in it) and you have lots of room to do things. As for the filter, one good thing is the inlet is on the left side of the tank and water discharges on the right side. To me the farther apart they are the better. Years ago I had a HOB that discharged right over the inlet tube. To much water going in a loop threw the darn thing.
The down side is if you want to upgrade lighting or if the built in filter breaks.
It is great for beginners as it lowers the cost some compared to buying everything separate.

You're right. I'm not trying to give fluval a bad rap. They have to be doing something right as it is a very popular filter. I just know someone whose cats tripped the hoses twice. The second time resulting in about $1000 of dead cichlids. :( There's also a local store here that talks down about fluvals saying they tried them on their tanks in their store and found them to be of inferior quality and leaked. They recommended Eheim to me.

Back
Top Bottom