Fluval sizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrimsonBlayde

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently running a Fluval 205 on a heavily planted, medium stocked tank. Would a Fluval 305 be overkill? I am considering upgrading. Thanks.

CrimsonBlayde said:
I am currently running a Fluval 205 on a heavily planted, medium stocked tank. Would a Fluval 305 be overkill? I am considering upgrading. Thanks.

What size tank?

Oops...

It's a 30 gallon. I meant to put that in the original post but was distracted by the kids. My apologies!

CrimsonBlayde said:
It's a 30 gallon. I meant to put that in the original post but was distracted by the kids. My apologies!

Sorry for taking so long.

In my opinion there is no such thing as too much filtration but lets look at wether the 205 is adequate.

The empty flow rate is 680lph on the 205.
A 30 tank ~114L
Minimum filtration should turn over the tanks volume at least 6x an hour.

IMO this filter provides you was the bare minimum. And is only adequate for a low bio load.

I wouldn't go for the 305 but would consider having a second filter. This has the benefit of providing a backup if one filter stops working.

Aim to have a total ideal flow of 1140lph.

My suggestion would be to add an aquaclear 30 which turns over ~570lph although you could get away with an aquaclear 20 at ~380 lph

Thanks for you input. I hadn't considered a second filter. How noisy are the Aqua Clears?

CrimsonBlayde said:
Thanks for you input. I hadn't considered a second filter. How noisy are the Aqua Clears?

The aquaclears I've had have been nearly silent when working properly. If they are making noise something is wrong. The do produce a trickling sound from the water return if the tank water is right up to the output but that's not intrusive. I'm currently running a ac 20 on a tank in my office that I share with three other people and no one complains.

My Aquaclear 30 arrives tomorrow. I love the idea of having separate filters in case one malfunctions.

The next question is where to place the AC30? The canister output is to the right and the intake to left. Should the new filter be near the intake or output? I cannot center it because the tank is acrylic and I am limited by the cutouts. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom