Good Filteration System Suggetion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

battybat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I went to Petco and was talked into a Marineland Penguin 100. I was told to get one size up so I have a 20g filter for a 10g tank. The flow is kinda rough for the tank. Also the noise coming from the motor is louder than the old one that came with the tank. Is this supposed to be a quite filter system?

If no, what would be another good brand that has a bio-wheel or something just as good?

Thanks,
Eric

I way say that is a good filter as far as filtering goes, I don't like the way the filter media works the, also they aren't especially quiet.

AquaClear 20 or Fluvial C2? Would be my recommendation.

Hello,

I went to Petco and was talked into a Marineland Penguin 100. I was told to get one size up so I have a 20g filter for a 10g tank. The flow is kinda rough for the tank. Also the noise coming from the motor is louder than the old one that came with the tank. Is this supposed to be a quite filter system?

If no, what would be another good brand that has a bio-wheel or something just as good?

Thanks,
Eric

I'm not familiar with Penguin filters, but generally I buy "one size up" when buying filters. In other words, if I'm setting up a 40g tank and there's a filter rated for 45 gallons, I'll get the next size higher filter -- one rated for 70g, for example. I like to have some over-capacity.

As for what filters to recommend, I'm a big fan of Aquaclears: simple, straightforward design, easy to maintain, and you can use almost any media you want. (y) They're generally quiet, though they can generate an annoying buzz as the lid shifts. I usually run mine "topless" :eek: --without lids.

Penguins I'm sure have their fans, too. Perhaps yours is defective? Can you return it?

Fluval C2s are great.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom