Gravel v.s. Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Which is better, gravel or sand? I don't know much about maintenance for sand.

Tough question. Reason I say tough is because most of it is preference. Then there's what fish you keep. I have cichlids (Africans) and I had gravel and they like to dig. There much happier with the sand and so am I.

The gravel will hold ALOT more debris and such where as sand it will tend to stay on top and then just run your suction hose lightly over the sand about an inch or so above it. Works like a charm.

So... For me? It's sand hands down.

I agree with convict. It depends on what fish your keeping. And your preference. But if you keep certain fish that like digging or burrowing, sand is the answer. I used to watch my cichlids try so hard to move the gravel, I'd feel so bad and help them. Haha!

I think sand is easier to clean also as stated above.

I use pool filter sand in 2 fresh water tanks and 2 saltwater tanks. It is cheap and makes the tank look nice. My cichlids also love it because it is easy for them to move. Also the clean up is easy, like said before, just run the vac over the top of the sand.

image-3677483412.jpg

Yeah sand is so much better,I started out with rock and went to sand about 6months ago and love it (my fish do too) but I MUST tell you WASH WASH WASH WASH the sand before putting it in your tank even when you think it's clean WASH it again....trust me its tiresome but its worth it in the end,that's with play sand I'm not sure about pool sand

image-1050324164.jpg

I agree with convict. It depends on what fish your keeping. And your preference. But if you keep certain fish that like digging or burrowing, sand is the answer. I used to watch my cichlids try so hard to move the gravel, I'd feel so bad and help them. Haha!

I think sand is easier to clean also as stated above.

But can there be a loss of using sand for any fish?

I can't think of a good reason not to use sand. I switched when my bottom feeders were getting torn up fins. After switching they healed up and have been fine since.

I have some tanks with sand and some with gravel. Like others have said, cichlids love sand better and IMO it looks better too. I'll be changing other tanks to sand soon. The thing I like about gravel is that I can leave the vacuum alone during a PWC if I'm too lazy to vacuum. It's harder to do this in sand.

When I get a new tank, I will use sand. Sounds better for maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom