Halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just added the CoralLife HOT 150 watt HQI to my aquarium. On the other side of the tank I have the JBJ K2 Viper 70 watt. The 70 watt is over the LPS corals while the 150 watt is over the clams and SPS stuff. Think my tank will be ok getting only this halide light. I have a Current USA NOVA T-5 Unit but I cant run the NOVA with the Halides because of space.

I like the halide light a lot more since it casts such a cool effect and leaves the tank more open and easier to work in. The total wattage is 210 watts of halide light, both are 14k's breaking down to 3.05 watts of halide lighting per gallon.

From your previous post
macman7010 said:
I am going to have to disagree with Tecwzrd on the MH/PC recommendation. Personally I think MH and PC lighting is the most unrealistic way to light a reef aquarium.

Sorry, couldn't help but smile that you got a MH :D The "cool effect" of the light play is why I personally like MH over other options.

Is this for your new 180 gal tank??

HA HA, you got me Tecwzrd. I have been using Halides in conjunction with my T-5 system for some time since I keep clams and some SPS corals. The sad part is the tank looked really sweet when just the halide lamp was on but once the T-5's kicked on it drowned out the shimmer of the halides.

I have talked to some people and they all agree that as long as I am not planning on keeping large, high light demanding Acro colonies then having the 150 watt halides on one side and the 70 watt halides on the other should work fine.

This isnt for my 180, its going on a 72 bow front I converted to a reef.

I agree it should be fine. T-5 lighting has tons of advantages as well but I'm surprised they completely drown out the shimmer :( At least your corals will thrive.

Back
Top Bottom