heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snazzyiron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I have a beautiful 12 gallon Marineland tank that has been very healthy. Only guppies are in this tank. No fish deaths for several months.

I received a letter from Marineland to recall my heater. I took it to Petsmart and they gave me a new TopFin heater. I put it in last night and today I have dead fish and seriously stressed ones. The live ones are hanging at the top of the tank and are probably going to die also.

My question is: The new heater must have caused these deaths, but how? Temperature is the same almost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:(

Was there a heater in the tank when you took the recalled one out and returned it? A rapid change in temperature could be the culprit. Another possibility is that there happened to be chemicals on the new heater. Did you rinse it thorougly?

I think you are right. There was a heater in the tank that I switched with the new one. I was stupid and I did not rinse the new heater before put it in. There must have been something on it. Anyway after multiple deaths, I think I have turned the corner. No new deaths today. And I rinsed the newest heater very well. I saw an earlier post that someone said TopFin heaters are death in a box. Well, it certainly was for me. I will now do several water changes (one a day) until I feel like my fish are ok. I lost 9 of my most beautiful males and several large females.:(

Thank you so much for the reply!

Rita

Back
Top Bottom