Heater - marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F1shycornwall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I’ve got a new juwel 350l tank. The thermometer is 300w.

My temperature in the tank goes between 78-80 and I cannot get it down even though the thermometer is set nearly at its lowest setting.

Any ideas please? The thermometer, lighting etc was all part of the kit, so doubt it’s due to over lighting

Thanks in advance

300w heater is about the right size for your aquarium size. If anything it might be a little underpowered.

What is the room temperature? Im assuming it is much lower than the aquarium temperature, but you may live in a hot climate.

Perhaps the thermostat on your heater might be broken, and its fixed on and doesnt turn off the heater when the set temperature is reached.

Could very well be the lights. They will raise the temperature a little if your aquarium has a lid that doesnt allow heat to escape.

Try turning off the lights and heater off seperately to see which allows the temperature to drop. Then you will know which is causing the issue.

We turned the thermometer right down to 18 an hour ago. The temperature is now reading 81 which is the highest we’ve seen it

Blimey, 24 is very warm for room temperature. Out of interest, are you heating or cooling to maintain that?

24 room temperature + lighting could lead to the temperatures you are seeing. What type of light is it? LED will produce less heat than traditional lamps. As previous, turn each fitting off separately to see which is causing your overheating. Given your high room temp, my money would be on the lights.

We’re in a new build in England so it’s a warm house throughout the day without heating (22-24) and then in the evening it’s warmed up to 24.

What would your solution be if it is the lights?

This is what the webpage says re the lights (in our opinion the lights are very hot)

Brilliant luminosity and excellent plant growth are what you get with the state-of-the-art Multilux LED lighting technology from JUWEL. The replaceable 438 mm & 895 mm DAY and NATURE LED tubes create an optimum light spectrum, while saving up to 50% of energy in comparison to T5 at the same time.
The MultiLux LED lighting system for the TRIGON 350 LED means that you can work on your aquarium in comfort, even when the lighting is switched on.
The ultrasound-sealed light unit is 100 percent waterproof and fulfils the stringent European safety standards.

Typical room temperatures would be 19 to 20c in a habitable room and 16 to 18c in a non habitable room. If you are seeing 24c without the heating at this time of year i would say your home is poorly designed and you are possibly suffering from solar overheating. Designing out overheating is a requirement of UK building regulations. Im an architectural technician BTW. Lord knows what your home will be like in the summer. Im guessing you live in Cornwall from your username.

This is a major issue with modern design and construction in the UK and i know a number of people who couldn't live in new builds, and sold to buy an older house that is more comfortable. Everything is now geared towards trapping in heat and minimising air leakage rather than producing a comfortable living environment in a sustainable manner.

If it is the lighting im not sure what to do. Perhaps someone who lives in a warm climate can advise on long term solutions. On the odd occasion we get warm weather here in the midlands and my tanks overheat, taking the lid off the tank will help dissipate heat, running a fan over the surface of the water will further help. If i had room temp in the mid 20s i would be opening windows regardless of having an aquarium.

It could still be a faulty heater thermostat though. But i really would expect to see a degree or 2 temperature rise from the lights alone if the warm air cant get out.

Back
Top Bottom