Small Heater on Big Tank just above room temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakemicallef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya

I currently have a 150w heater on my 125l/29g planted shrimp tank. I keep the tank at about 21C/70F but my room is normally about 18-20C, and I dont like the look of my massive heater in the corner.

It almost touches the substrate as I have it sloping up into the back corner and I just dont like the look of it.

Anyway, I have a 25w heater off of an old tank that works fine, and am just wondering what you lot's thoughts would be on using that in there, as the heat difference from the room temperature is so minimal a lot of the time, it shouldnt have to work that hard, right?

Interested to hear anyone's two cents, thanks in advance!

You might "just" get 1c to 1.5c temperature increase from that size heater in that size tank. But it would pretty much have to run constantly to do that and would probably wear out in a matter of a few months running like that.

Not sure where you are from, but are you sure your room temperature is constant 24 hour/day all through the year? I know i keep our living room about 19c when the room is occupied, but during the colder months, overnight when the heating isnt on, room temperature can drop to 12c.

No substitute for running the correct size heater IMO.

I say big heater for big tank, it will be more efficient. At some point temps will drop.. depending where you live.

Back
Top Bottom