Help!!! My filter is screaming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
after giving my tank some new water, my filter sounded as if the motor was seizing or sucking air... so i disassembled the filter thinking that there was something jammed inside. after cleaning the motor out and the prop, i placed my filter back onto the tank. (its a hang on) and the noise is still there. there are like little blips every 2 or 3 seconds. what should i do.

Completely is a better word. If there wasn't enough water for the pump to pull in when you started the filter again it may have caused your problem (sucking air).

If it pulled in air only for a short period of time then it probably didn't overheat. If it pulled air for a while, though, your 'screaming' noise now could be due to heat damage I would think.

mine is an aquaclear but i found out what the problem is. something got stuck inbetween my impeller and the impeller rod. now i basically have a rattle for a motor, im so mad... how can i get a new motor... any ideas?

If it's just the impeller assembly itself, can't you just replace it? Instead of the entire motor?

I think it would be more cost effective to buy a new filter rather than replace the motor. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think the motor actually has any moving parts.

its all magnetics. i've temporarily fixed it. im soon upgrading to a canister. i just dont know what size canister to get. i have a 55 gallon with a pair of kribs, pair of rams, pair of pearl gourami's, one bn pleco and one geophagus jurapari. i want to go with an eheim. i just dont know what size. any opinions or guidance would be great, thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom