HI Heat question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I owned a fishtank when i was younger and course i don`t have one anymore, anyways i live by my self now and i want to get a fish tank and start again. I do have one concern the main area i want the tank to be located is in my office where i spent 90% of my time in the house.

The room sometimes in summer gets very hot sometimes 100 deg i have windows open but the way the house faces i dont get much wind passing through so if i were to get a fishtank and have this would the fish suffer because of the heat, from my question at pet smart they said tropical fish should be okay but the tank would be need to be cooled.

Is there products i would get to make sure the tank stays at optimal temp or what can i do ?

What's your monthly electric bill if you were to keep the a/c on such that you are at a comfortable 78-80 degrees? You could also get a small A/c unit that hangs out your window. If your electric bills however cost more than maybe 100 a month from A/c use alone I would go with an inline chiller.

Fish won't servive 100 degree temp. Since you have asthama, the only other solution is a chiller. With a chiller you could set any temp that the tank needs with no effect on you.
PS: I live in a high eletricity area and my chilller cost me ~$5-$10 a month...

Last edited:
The obvioius solution is to put your aquarium in the coolest part of the house, instead of buying an expensive chiller and running up your electric bill. Having an aquarium in an office is not a good idea - it would be distracting and take up space that should be used for business purposes. Also, the noise of an office would be stressful to the fish. Put the aquarium in the living room or someplace where you can relax and enjoy it, instead of having the tank become a distraction...not to mention an extra expense.

To each his own. It seems a though this office is in your home. If you like the aquarium there to help you to relax once in a while and contemplate things then find the coolest spot there. If not a $300-$400 isn't bad.JMHO

Back
Top Bottom