How is the your new Rena XP3 coming along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lonewolfblue said:
Maintenance is easy too. Even though it didn't need it, I did a maintenance on it just to try it, and took me less than 5 minutes. And that includes rinsing the sponges out in old tank water, and rinsing out the cannister unit, and putting it back together, priming, and plugging in. I'm really happy with my choice. :)

Unfortunatly you missed the biggest pain when it comes to canister maintenance (and why I won't buy one again) - cleaning the tubes. I had a 404 and after a few months the flow rate was way down, even though the filter itself was clean. I had to unhook all the tubes, drain them without spilling (nearly impossible), and hook them all back up after cleaning - the whole process was a huge pain. Shortly after my 404 was up on Ebay and I was back to my good old Whisper 60 which is basically maintenence free except for slapping in a couple $.50 cartridges every few weeks.

Lonewolfblue said:
It will be hidden behind your tank, and not in the tank.

I just reordered one(bought the wrong tube size) and need to know if I can put it in my tank stand or if it has to be between the wall and tank.
Does anyone have one in their tank stand? Thank you

Tony Starks said:
Lonewolfblue said:
Maintenance is easy too. Even though it didn't need it, I did a maintenance on it just to try it, and took me less than 5 minutes. And that includes rinsing the sponges out in old tank water, and rinsing out the cannister unit, and putting it back together, priming, and plugging in. I'm really happy with my choice. :)

Unfortunatly you missed the biggest pain when it comes to canister maintenance (and why I won't buy one again) - cleaning the tubes. I had a 404 and after a few months the flow rate was way down, even though the filter itself was clean. I had to unhook all the tubes, drain them without spilling (nearly impossible), and hook them all back up after cleaning - the whole process was a huge pain. Shortly after my 404 was up on Ebay and I was back to my good old Whisper 60 which is basically maintenence free except for slapping in a couple $.50 cartridges every few weeks.

Well, it's been running since Christmas, and all's great. Looking at the tubing, being fairly cleat, nothing is building up in them. There's just a couple spots here and there, where it looks like algae growing on the surface, but that's all. 1 months and as clear as a bell. And great flow.

Rondory said:
Lonewolfblue said:
It will be hidden behind your tank, and not in the tank.

I just reordered one(bought the wrong tube size) and need to know if I can put it in my tank stand or if it has to be between the wall and tank.
Does anyone have one in their tank stand? Thank you

From what I heard, they should be in a verticle position so there's less build-up. I just ordered a 300W myself, so when I transfer my XP3 to the 75G, will add that as well.

I've been running cannister filters for about 15 years and have never experienced a reduced flow from restricted or clogged tubing.

CGGorman said:
I've been running cannister filters for about 15 years and have never experienced a reduced flow from restricted or clogged tubing.

wow, thats hard to believe. do you mean you clean out the tubes really often so it doesn't happen or that you have a 15 year old filter that is sparkly clean?

Tony Starks said:
CGGorman said:

wow, thats hard to believe. do you mean you clean out the tubes really often so it doesn't happen or that you have a 15 year old filter that is sparkly clean?

A friend of mine here has been running a cannister for over 5 years now, and he has no flow problems and no clogging problems, and never cleans the hoses. After a month of running my XP3, I only have a couple spots where there's algae, but other than that, it's as clear as a bell.

I'm reviving this thread because I just bought an XP3 and I have a few questions. What do you guys use for the biological portion? I'm not sure if it matters, but your opinions are welcome. Also.....which out-take did you guys go with? The Power jet nozzle or the spray bar? I'm going to set this filter up on my 50 gal to begin the seeding process for my 180 gal that I have in storage (I'm going to buy a second XP3 once a move and set it up). Thanks everyone!

In the bottom tray, I have the 2 coarse and the 2 medium sponges. In the middle tray I have lava granules and the star media, and in the top tray I have ceramic cylinders, then floss, then the micro filter on top of the floss. As for the output, I use the spraybar.

PHEW! Finally got the bad boy rolling. I had the intake hose too long and I couldn't get it to prime...... :roll: Once we got that figured out it was smooth sailing. I turned the flow to about half way since it's only a 50 gal....I hope that's cool. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

I had mine cranked to full speed when it was on my 55G. If using the spraybar, you'll have no problem. Just have the spraybar spray straight across the top of the tank, about an inch or so below the surface, which is where the plastic tubing that goes over the top of the tank is sitting on the tank edge. :) I had both the XP3 and the Emperor 400 going full blast, and the current was fine for my 55G. Now that the XP3 is on my 75G, the other end of my 55G seems dead, lol. No movement. Will be adding my small powerhead soon.

Thx Lonewolf! I turned it up all the way and the current seems fine. I really like the spray bar feature.....keeps the surface nicely agitated. If we still had kudos, I'd give you some :wink: :lol:

Not a problem.....

Now if using the power jet, might be another story, lol. I like the spraybar myself. The current it makes is just right to keep the tank circulating, and not overly strong, as it spreads the current over the length of the spraybar.

All I have to say is wow!! It's been a few days now and it is like looking at my tank with high definition. I never imagined my water could be any clearer, but I was wrong. I guess my old HOB's were no match!

Also depends on what's in the HOB. My Emperor 280 on my 26G does a great job, wouldn't replace it at all. Water is so clear. Could be the plants too. :)

As for my 55G now, it's not so nice, lol. It's just got the Emperor 400 on one end and nothing on the other. It's pretty clear on the side of the Emperor, but on the other side, particles floating around. Kind of makes me want to get another filter, lol.

Back
Top Bottom